Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Alfetta experts - especially those in Carburetor-land! I'm installing Webers on my 76 Alfetta resto-mod (link here, if you haven't been following). All the USA Alfettas had SPICA injection, and the throttle pedal which goes through the firewall and mounts onto the firewall has linkage to support SPICA. It's very different from the same part that supports carburetors. On the SPICA cars, the arm to the injection unit sits ABOVE the main pivot shaft; on Carb cars, the arm to the carbs sits BELOW the pivot shaft.

These carb-supporting linkages were never available in the USA, and only left-side drive cars from Europe had them (obviously, they are different for right-side drive cars).

There's a picture of my SPICA-based pedal assembly below. You can see the arm (on the right in the pic) goes UP to where it attaches to the SPICA throttle assembly.

I have two options, it seems:
  1. find and purchase a European pedal from someone willing to sell it
  2. fabricate my own, which means creating an assembly with all the arms perfectly aligned as per an original part

I need your help! First off, if you have this part that you are willing to sell, please PM me! Second, if you don't have a part you want to sell, but have one that you can take LOTS of pictures of, please post them here or send them to me via PM. I'm also asking that you provide the following measurements/distances:
  • Angle of the arm going down to the carb linkage, in relation to the arm going down to the foot pedal
  • Distance from the center of the pivot shaft to the hole where the carb linkage attaches
  • Any other measurements or distances you feel important. You can also lay down a tape measure on your photos and I can use for reference

Now, for the SPICA-land people - IF I decide to build my own, what level of interest is there for me to create a bunch of them, and sell them to others attempting to do the SPICA-Carb conversion? Please PM me if you would be interested, should I go down this route.

Thanks all for the help - long live the early Alfettas!

Wood Bicycle part Gas Flooring Road surface

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
stupid question, but isnt that the same part thats on a gtv6?..it sure looks like it, and if it isnt id bet a gtv6 one would work since it runs a cable

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry if I confused... the picture that I attached is of the SPICA one, not the Weber one. I don't know if the GTV6 link goes up or down... if it goes down, it might be a good place to start... thanks! I need the link to go down, not up.

·
Administrator
16,368 Posts
Lots of Webers are opened by a cable, wasn't the SPICA system opened by a cable too ... where's the problem?

Just ensure you add an extra closing spring for safety (and track/race days)
Pete

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
I used a cable. Stock injection lever, bike cable, Weber 45048.007 lever , home made bracket for cable end at carbs and a few bits. Works great.
Throttle bar can't be changed with engine in car. tried it. Didn't happen

I also have 2 used center early flex joints. Very good condition if this helps.

·
Registered
1979 Sprint Veloce
403 Posts
Maybe this helps - @yvesmontreal posted this in another thread:

I had a Spica pedal linkage assembly that had been modified to be used with carbs. The arm that goes up at the cable end had been cut and welded in a lower position. The tip had been drilled to install a ball stud which connected with the throttle rod. All you would need is a measurement from an original Weber linkage assembly. If you are interested, I have one that I can measure.

·
2,491 Posts
The pedal end is very different from a 105 throttle linkage, having a non removable pedal. And I know from experience that 105s had a different length at the pedal end for GT vs sedan.

The end lever shape is dictated by its relative position to the Spica bell crank, or to the Weber relay lever underneath the carbs. There are no Alfetta vs 105 versions of the Spica throttle cable, and neither are there specific levers for Alfetta carbs. I would think this end should be the same.

·
Registered
1975 Alfetta GT, 1981 GTV6
113 Posts
I have a carb converted Spica Alfetta done sometime in the past. They used the standard Spica linkage and the sprung Spica 'barrel' to actuate the carbs from the top, rather than the from the bottom in a proper Euro carb car. required fab of a mount for the barrel. Will try to get a picture. It doesn't look great, but seems to work quite ok.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Forget all the spica/carb conversion pedal talk, and just get a european alfetta carb pedal. You want the pedal to pull down on the carb linkage like all the other euro alfa cars. Call up the guys at okp.de and they can get you one if you ask nicely. Also better if you're a current client of OKP.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ummm… that’s the original request! I’m looking for a European carb pedal! Any ideas???

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Ummm ….like I said, call OKP in Germany and they will try to get you a European pedal from Europe. Not be found in the USA.
You can also try the 116 use parts sit in Facebook but you have to register first.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Or try Richard Melvin at CSR 116 racing in the UK and avail upon his wide knowledge. His stuff is great for Alfetta and gtv6.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I might have found two euro pedals for sale. Will know more in a couple of days.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I might have found two euro pedals for sale. Will know more in a couple of days.
Looks like you have found the best solution. But you can carefully remove the upward arm and use it as a downward arm if you can get the angles and dimensions. I have done this for a 105 application. Used a solid mounted ball joint at end with no negative feed back from client. Or fabricate a cylinder for the rubber bush and figure out how ball joint it.

Ken

1 - 17 of 17 Posts