Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, can't wholly do it know but thought I'd entertain the possibility of upgrading my '78 Alfetta. Bear with me (Beer with me).

The objective is streetable performance upgrades, on the milder side, and low cost. Car already has a few suspension improvements -- Bilsteins all around, Milano sway bars front and back, GTV6 torsion bars -- and since it's mild street I see no need for slotted rotors, Brembo's steel lines, and all that.

What I have thus far for ideas is:
Ansa catback exhaust
Mill the head (.004)
Euro intake cams
Electronic distributor (if worth it).

Going the other direction: I could throw on Webbers (or stay with SPICA), add Euro headers. and/or 10:1 pistons.

Question is, with shop rates at $90 what could I get (combo parts and labor: maybe good used Ansa and cams) and stay at or under $1,000? Maybe the Ansa and cams only, lol.

Chris in CA

PS I've done a search galore, many opinions there.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I've owned an Alfetta Coupe (that I bought in Pasadena years ago), and several GTV6s.

I found that the V6 motor was a very good HP boost over the 4 cylinder :- )

I have a couple of extra 2.5 V6s (and a 3.0 Verde) lying around for you. But I'm way up in Vermont.

Cheers, Peter

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, cool. A solid V6 shoehorned in and ready to drive under $1K, yes? Heck, it's warmer here on the west coast so bring one out; we can install together, sipping margaritas, Pamela Anderson handing us tools, or vice-versa. :D

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Not sure... but if you ever got crazy enough to try that, you could likely find a decent V6 for around $500-750? 112 HP to 155 HP (183 on the Verde 3.0) bump! The GTV6s have 5 stud wheels for the extra power (vs 4 on the Alfettas). Don't know if that upgrade is 100% necc, but if so you'd need to swap out the hubs and wheels too. And likely a diff exhaust system. Ooops, sounding like it's turning into a bigger project. I'd better stop thinking this thru!

I like the idea of margaritas and Pam Anderson... regardless of the order. Check Craiglist for the next pickup heading west, and I'll load one into the truck bed for ya.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Or buy, Primo's supercharged 2.0 Milano, formerly my dad's. It has an alfetta short block so it will bolt right in. Then put a V6 back in the Milano and sell it. The total cost after selling the Milano will be minimal and the Alfetta will be very fast.

Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts