Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now i know the GTV6 has a little plastic gear turning a mini generator to send an electric signal to the speedometer. And the Alfetta as a cable going from the speedo down to the tranny connected to the little gear directly.

My question is, if someone hypothetically wanted the Alfetta speedo in their GTV6, would the Alfetta's cable speedo sender fit into the GTV6's tranny? Some of the Sports Sedans and Alfetta Sedans had electronic senders, are they the same design as the GTV6? I know the gearing will be off a bit, thus my speed off (who actually looks at the speedo anyways?:confused: ), but other than that will it physically fit?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
in theory it "should" fit from my understanding and research...as i was planing on running mechanical on my project....decided electronic was more reliable...and cheeper to have a freind of mine make me a custom guage face that looks like a fetta unit(cobalt blue) but i wont lose my 140mph unit

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i have no idea if the speedo is the same, the alfetta i was working on had it removed before i got to it!!!:rolleyes:
In other news the hypothetical dash swap works pretty well. ..

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,188 Posts
Spedometer adaption

If the unit is an early GTV6 the Alfetta cable will screw right in the output.
The GTV6 transaxle had a bad year in 1982 when R&P was 3.42, so that R&P will not indicate the correct speed.
The "81 was 4.1 as were other years, however the speedo output went from gear driven to pulse generator about '84.
The best gear ratios were the Alfetta`s (closer, less tall fifth)
Those gears installed in the'81 case (input shaft from alfetta & gears installed on the 6 cyl. pinion shaft, so that the spedo drive is the same) with a LSD installed makes a great road box. Those gears can be installed in later DTV6 & Milano boxes on the existing pinion (main) shaft so that the speedo drive remains compatable, but a bit of maching is required due to input shaft bearing design.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts