Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Tried to start fixing up the rear suspension bit by bit on my '79 gt last night, but was stopped by the double nuts on the top of the shock absorber. It seems I need a <i>really</i> thin 19mm wrench for the lower nut, then I can just use my 18mm to undo the top nut. Problem is, I have a slim (the polished metal craftsman type) 19, but not a super-slim one... any suggestions besides buying another wrench?

Also, I'm planning on going through all the other bits, using the Haynes and Autobooks manuals, with the factory manual for extra reference. Anybody know of any pitfalls before I go headlong into it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Harbor Freight ought to have a set of cheap stamped wrenches. Could you tap the bottom nut with a drift? Let us know. What are you gonna use for replacement parts.
Thanks,

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips, I think Harbor Freight is on my errand list for this weekend (if that "tiny wrench" tip doesn't work). I'm not sure tapping the bottom nut will work since the shocks are double-nutted, and that would probably just make the top of the shock spin around.

For now I'm using some nearly-new original-style shocks I got off eBay for $30 shipped, and GTV6 springs I got from APE. I'll see where that leaves me, ride-wise, and if necessary I'll try my hand at replacing bushings. I also have some GTV6 torsion bars, but the front suspension is not so bad as the rear, which was sagging.

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you have a helper, just hold the top half of the shock absorber firmly from under the car to stop it spinning while the 18mm nut is removed.
You shouldn't have a problem stopping the shock from turning.

·
Registered
625 Posts
just grind a real wrench and label it "rear shock wrench"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts