Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the steering rack from my Sedan and like a dumba** I removed the input gear from the housing. The bearings have now been dislodged from the race and I cannot get them back into place. Has anyone here ever taken one of these apart and successfully reassembled?

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,313 Posts
I removed the steering rack from my Sedan and like a dumba** I removed the input gear from the housing. The bearings have now been dislodged from the race and I cannot get them back into place. Has anyone here ever taken one of these apart and successfully reassembled?

I've taken apart and later style rack. Those have a sealed bearing in them. Since you already have yours out, you may look into sourcing a rack from a second series Alfetta. They are superior to the first series racks. The first series racks tend to wear at the tie rod joint. The symptom is a popping feeling and sound when you turn the wheel. Another good thing about the later style racks is that you can replace the tie rods with ones from a Milano power steering rack.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Dean Russell from Trail Auto says he has a couple of racks available. Are there any external characteristics to distinguish between the early and late racks?

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,313 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Dean Russell from Trail Auto says he has a couple of racks available. Are there any external characteristics to distinguish between the early and late racks?
The easiest way is to look at the tie rod connection. The later style tie rod has a knuckle. The earlier style has the ball.

Attachments

·
Registered
975 Posts
Brian - is this an early, or late model rack...?

Brian - can you tell if this is the earlier model or the later model rack?

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts