Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the steering rack from my Sedan and like a dumba** I removed the input gear from the housing. The bearings have now been dislodged from the race and I cannot get them back into place. Has anyone here ever taken one of these apart and successfully reassembled?

·
Premium Member
13,962 Posts
I removed the steering rack from my Sedan and like a dumba** I removed the input gear from the housing. The bearings have now been dislodged from the race and I cannot get them back into place. Has anyone here ever taken one of these apart and successfully reassembled?

I've taken apart and later style rack. Those have a sealed bearing in them. Since you already have yours out, you may look into sourcing a rack from a second series Alfetta. They are superior to the first series racks. The first series racks tend to wear at the tie rod joint. The symptom is a popping feeling and sound when you turn the wheel. Another good thing about the later style racks is that you can replace the tie rods with ones from a Milano power steering rack.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. Dean Russell from Trail Auto says he has a couple of racks available. Are there any external characteristics to distinguish between the early and late racks?

·
Premium Member
13,962 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Brian - is this an early, or late model rack...?

Brian - can you tell if this is the earlier model or the later model rack?

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.