Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 79 Alfetta has quick ratio steering, 2.6 turns lock to lock, but a massive dead spot in the middle. I've got a low mileage 76 Alfetta that I just pulled the rack out of but thinking of fixing the QR rack. Is there anyone that rebuilds these. It's a LHD car which I think all came with Spica instead of ZF. I haven't pulled it out yet but I did pull the one from my 76 parts car which I believe is 3.5 turns lock to lock.
Thoughts?
Just swap the 76 in?
Disassemble the QR one and see what it needs?
Any problems you guys foresee?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I believe your spline on the quick rack is bigger than the older rack. A quick visual will tell you. Also ball joints might be different. Good luck and keep us informed. I have a Milano power rack I want to plug up and install as a manual rack in my '79!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I converted my RHD Alfetta's Spica rack using a Quickrack kit. The parts for the LHD conversion kit are still available in the UK: https://ebspares.co.uk/part/E/EB8/EB810005.cfm

You see the cover on the side, held on with two hex headed machine screws (you can only see one of them in the photo)? Under that cover are some shims which let you control the spring pressure with which the rack and pinion are pushed together. Too loose (too few shims) and the steering will feel sloppy, too tight (too many shims) and it will be stiff to turn and lacking in 'fluidity'. It's quite a sensitive adjustment, and it took me a couple of goes to get mine exactly right.

I would suggest that you take the rack out of the car, dismantle, clean everything up really well, re-grease, reassemble and shim as needed. If it still feels dead, then you have the choice of rebuilding with a new Quickrack kit, or just swapping it for your spare rack...
Household hardware Auto part Gun accessory Metal Tool

·
Registered
391 Posts
This is exactly the info I needed! I didn't want to take her off the road with the uncertainty of when of be able to drive her again. I imagine reliving shims tighten things up?
Not sure on shims only your dead spot is in the middle.... might be a tooth or ware on middle of rack. But I guess you need to start somewhere. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts