Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I've spent hours combing through the BB looking for this, with no luck: MY THROTTLE CABLE IS TOO LONG! By at least 3/4". It is P/N 60715011, same as "everybody" sells (I have the bad one on the car plus a new one, and they are identical). As a result it bends severely at each end fitting and eventually self-destructs. I did find a photo of the SPICA on some car (probably a 105) where the firewall bracket was mounted considerably below the level of the SPICA bracket on the engine, and the cable ran in a nice vertical "S" curve which would indicate the proper use of this long cable assembly (the housing measures 9" end-to-end). However on my '76 Alfetta GTV the bracket mounts on both ends are at the same level, hence the need for a shorter cable assembly. I also saw a reference on the BB to a "shorter cable" and that's obviously what I need. What gives? Surely I have an incorrect cable. Can anyone help?

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I had same problem....ended up getting bike caliper cable and sheath, cut to length, crimps on each end and works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5 Posts
This photo shows that the throttle cable on my '76 GT is a little longer than the space between firewall bracket and the pulley. I suppose the "hump" allows some movement of the engine without affecting the length of the "pull" on the throttle. Is the cable you got from the supplier different from this factory original?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,425 Posts
You do want a little slack in cables such as these as shown above to allow for engine movement. Do not cut them shorter as to be straight when installed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going on a trip tomorrow, so I cut the new cable shorter. I got this cable from AFRA several years ago. In attempting to install it today, I found that the ball on the end is slightly larger in diameter, and the end fittings ditto. Everything is about .25mm too large. Spent half the day modifying to make it fit. The tag on the cable (not an Alfa tag) says: "ACCELERATORE PEDALE SIMILE AL ALFETTA 60715011, 1972-1981"

Nothing comes easy. But I'm on the road again, with smooth actuation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts