Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am in the process of replacing the SPICA belt on an Alfetta. I’ve read a lot of threads on here talking about walking on the belt but my technique is lacking. Is this where the WD40 comes in or is there something else to this trick? I’ve been through two belts now and can’t seem to get them on with this method or by manipulating them onto the gear. Video included showing the moment of breakage.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
With that style of spica pulley I believe you have to take the crank pulley off. You could change your spica pulley to the other style with the rounded front if you don’t need that double wide pulley anymore. I haven’t done it but I’ve heard getting a spica pulley off can be challenging.
The spica pump needs to be timed to the engine too. If you do take the crank pulley off, change the crank seal too. It’s a 35x50x10.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Whenever I have to put a SPICA belt on, I remove the pulley from the pump, put the belt on the pulley, and then slide the pulley onto the pump shaft. Not quite as easy as it sounds, but I have never been successful at getting the belt onto a mounted SPICA pulley.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the assistance! I’ve begun applying PB to the pulley and will take a look at the crank seal. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
For Alfetta pulleys, the best way is to remove the pulley, mark the groove, line up belt and re-install pulley to pump. It would be beneficial though, to source out a 115 pulley with no front ring/lip and use that. Its much easier to install and doesn't require removing the pulley in future. Its also good if you have to change the belt on the side of the road for an unforeseen reason.

Reactions: sidewaysalfa

·
Super Moderator
11,783 Posts
It would be beneficial though, to source out a 115 pulley with no front ring/lip and use that. Its much easier to install and doesn't require removing the pulley in future.
Agree with GTAALFA and vintagemilano. In watching your video, the belt is getting cut as it stretches over that flange at the front of your pump pulley. Back when I owned Spica-equipped Alfa spiders, I used the "walk it on" technique, but those pulleys didn't have that flange. Instead, the front faces of the 115 series pump pulleys are sort of rounded, which facilitates starting the belt onto the pulley by hand. All the "walking" does is to pull the belt on the rest of the way.

Long story short, the "walking in on" technique just won't work with your style of pulley (as I guess you've figured out).

·
Registered
1976 Alfetta GT, 2018 Giulia Sport
1,756 Posts
Expanding on Tom and Anthony:
Yep, remove the SPICA pully. No big deal, like any other pully, but watch for the woodruff key to fall out. The lip/flange on my pully got knocked off probably some time in the past between the utterance: "MOTHER . . . . . F ___________R". I keep the double pully because of Cali smog and the bi-annual smog pump belt install.
Get the SPICA rotated in the correct position. A paint mark on the pully helps me get oriented correctly. Then remove the SPICA pully, it may take some gentle tapping, or you may have to use a gear puller with the radiator out.
"glue" in the key with grease and practice installing the pully with no belt - muscle memory.
belt on the crank pully then onto the SPICA pully in your hand; remember that paint mark.
close your eyes, think pure thoughts, and slide the pully with belt back on. remember that paint mark, you will probably keep sliding the belt on/off as you orient the pully.
Then, later, go to the back of a transaxle Alfa and adjust the rear brakes and then bleed the clutch slave cyl. Amazing how those 2 tasks now seem easy.
Try to get it installed by June 2022 so you can come out to the 2022 AROC National Convention, San Diego!!!

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, remove the SPICA pully. No big deal, like any other pully, but watch for the woodruff key to fall out. The lip/flange on my pully got knocked off probably some time in the past between the utterance: "MOTHER . . . . . F ___________R". I keep the double pully because of Cali smog and the bi-annual smog pump belt install.
Get the SPICA rotated in the correct position. A paint mark on the pully helps me get oriented correctly. Then remove the SPICA pully, it may take some gentle tapping, or you may have to use a gear puller with the radiator out.
"glue" in the key with grease and practice installing the pully with no belt - muscle memory.
belt on the crank pully then onto the SPICA pully in your hand; remember that paint mark.
close your eyes, think pure thoughts, and slide the pully with belt back on. remember that paint mark, you will probably keep sliding the belt on/off as you orient the pully.
Then, later, go to the back of a transaxle Alfa and adjust the rear brakes and then bleed the clutch slave cyl. Amazing how those 2 tasks now seem easy.
Try to get it installed by June 2022 so you can come out to the 2022 AROC National Convention, San Diego!!!
That is a great description of the process haha thank you! Also we have the same two Alfa garage down to the years!

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
Yep, remove the SPICA pully. No big deal, like any other pully, but watch for the woodruff key to fall out. The lip/flange on my pully got knocked off probably some time in the past between the utterance: "MOTHER . . . . . F ___________R".
LMAO

Thanks, first belly laugh of the day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts