Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

On my 78 alfetta sedan the upper ball joint on the drivers side is bootless and squeaking a lot. Centerline has the part and its not expensive -- how difficult is that part to change? Easy driveway repair or is it more involved?

I don't have access to my usual workspace, so if its easy enough I'll do it in my driveway but if not will probably take it somewhere.

https://centerlinealfa.com/catalog/ball-joint-upper-alfetta

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
It's relatively straightforward.
But it really comes down to what tools you have available.
For a start, you should only use a balljoint separator. The 'hit the tapered boss area of the upright until the balljoint stud pops out' is just plain stupid!!!
The original balljoints are riveted to the top control arm. So you'll need to grind the heads of the rivets off, drive the rivets out and use high tensile bolts to hold the ney balljoints in.

·
Premium Member
13,154 Posts
For a start, you should only use a balljoint separator. The 'hit the tapered boss area of the upright until the balljoint stud pops out' is just plain stupid!!!
That is the method that I always use. Loosen the nut a few turns and with suspension at full droop the torsion bar is trying to separate the two parts. A tap or two with a hammer and they pop loose. Then jack up the lower A arm to relieve the spring pressure, remove the nut and gently lower the jack. Bob's your uncle.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys. So this sounds relatively easy to do in a driveway, but how difficult are those rivets to take out? Will a dremel do it?

Should I do the lower while in there too?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Thanks guys. So this sounds relatively easy to do in a driveway, but how difficult are those rivets to take out? Will a dremel do it?

Should I do the lower while in there too?

Thanks.
I'd call the bottom balljoints harder to do.
They look simple, becuase it's easy to believe that they are simply held in place with suspension loads and an 8mm stud (13mm nut).
But they're a ***** to get out of the lower control arm without the right tools.
I don't know if they're called the same thing in your part of the world, but a pair of fox wedges are very helpful at getting them out of the LCA. People will say "Use screw drivers." and I've done that too. But it's not clever and will probably result in you breaking them.
And getting them back in is typically harder than you'd think. No, you can't just try and use the stud and nut to draw the balljoint back into the suspension arm, it'll wreck the thread.
Again, a proper balljoint separator is a wise purchase.
And a 2lb ball peen hammer if you don't have 1 already.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know you were looking for an excuse for one of these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in-43-amp-angle-grinder-69645.html

Who would have thought? Harbor Freight is having one of their rare Parking Lot Sale this weekend.
Thank you, I can't believe they are having a sale at the perfect time for me! HopefullY i can scrape up the $15 they are asking. maybe I'll look for a coupon. :)

BTW, your username is great. It's the spirit with which I drive my Sedan, but it doesn't really have enough power to deliver on it. i keep trying though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts