Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of freshly rebuilt rear calipers (sent out for rebuild) that I have got in place and hooked up on my 75 alfetta.

Once brake fluid was in the system and mostly bled the inboard adjustment screws (the two adjusters with the 7mm head without any locknut closest to the differential) weep brake fluid, evidenced when pumping the brakes. see picture below - you can see the fluid below that adjustment screw.

I felt I may have got the drivers side to stop when i adjusted the pads but I'm not sure. I will admit that I got confused with the clockwise and counter clockwise adjustment (one side is one way and the other is opposite) and so there was lots of to and froing with the 7mm wrench, but they were leaking from the get go.

The outboard adjusters also leaked as the rebuild shop had left them unlocked which I didnt realize before I mounted them, but once locked down the OUTBOARD adjusters no longer leak.The inboards dont have a locknut.

My question is this normal /abnormal that there could be some fluid leaking from the inboard adjusters?

There doesnt seem to be any other leaks eg from the handbrake lever.

I will note that it is very cold (basically near freezing) in the carport and wondering whether an o-ring may not be seating properly.

Any thoughts from the brains trust? I would HATE to have to remove them again.

Thanks.

IMG_6185[14899].jpg

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Finish the bleeding. Adjust all the pads.
You familiar with which direction to turn the adjusting screws? It's odd.
Push the brake pedal hard a few times. See if the leak is still there. Likely not.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a set of freshly rebuilt rear calipers (sent out for rebuild) that I have got in place and hooked up on my 75 alfetta.

Once brake fluid was in the system and mostly bled the inboard adjustment screws (the two adjusters with the 7mm head without any locknut closest to the differential) weep brake fluid, evidenced when pumping the brakes. see picture below - you can see the fluid below that adjustment screw.

I felt I may have got the drivers side to stop when i adjusted the pads but I'm not sure. I will admit that I got confused with the clockwise and counter clockwise adjustment (one side is one way and the other is opposite) and so there was lots of to and froing with the 7mm wrench, but they were leaking from the get go.

The outboard adjusters also leaked as the rebuild shop had left them unlocked which I didnt realize before I mounted them, but once locked down the OUTBOARD adjusters no longer leak.The inboards dont have a locknut.

My question is this normal /abnormal that there could be some fluid leaking from the inboard adjusters?

There doesnt seem to be any other leaks eg from the handbrake lever.

I will note that it is very cold (basically near freezing) in the carport and wondering whether an o-ring may not be seating properly.

Any thoughts from the brains trust? I would HATE to have to remove them again.

Thanks.

View attachment 1613875
Yeah, I just rebuilt my rears... And I couldn't pull the ajuster screw out.. Will be installing the next week.... Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Push the brake pedal hard a few times. See if the leak is still there. Likely not.

View attachment 1613881
Thanks, yes, after all the effort getting them on I”ll persist longer and see if it works itself out . The adjusting sure was confusing but I’m getting the hang of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,279 Posts
IIRC from my Milano days it can leak when the adjustment nut on the other side is loose. Once everything is tightened down it should definitely not leak. It might be residual fluid from when you did the adjustment.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I just rebuilt my rears... And I couldn't pull the ajuster screw out.. Will be installing the next week.... Will keep you posted.
Sending good luck. Not the easiest job I’ve undertaken on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IIRC from my Milano days it can leak when the adjustment nut on the other side is loose. Once everything is tightened down it should definitely not leak. It might be residual fluid from when you did the adjustment.
Thank you, this gives me hope. I will proceed!

·
Registered
61 Posts

View attachment 1613881
Do you need to bleed the rear calipers before you adjust them.Because my rebuilt calipers outer adjustment screws do nothing at the moment.
My rebuilt calipers adjuster screws do nothing, maybe need to be bleed first??

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Bleed them first. Then, pump your brake pedal pretty hard a few times to make sure it is firm and doesn't have a ton of travel.

Then adjust.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Do you need to bleed the rear calipers before you adjust them.Because my rebuilt calipers outer adjustment screws do nothing at the moment.

My rebuilt calipers adjuster screws do nothing, maybe need to be bleed first??
Yes... I still need to bleed the rears better... But I have to get her started first... Still no spark! Can't figure it out??

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Small update, with fluid in and bled as well as possible the inner adjuster on both calipers still weeps/leak. So that's not acceptable and now awaiting for the part supplier to come back after speaking with their outsourced rebuilder. Most likely have to pull them off and send them back for rebuilding.

I don't know what the internals of these calipers look like but possibly there is a seal/o-ring that wasnt replaced and/or the seal got all gacked up with old paint/rust when they go through the heavy cleaning/de-rusting. Anyway, with both calipers exhibiting the same problems there was likely some lack of quality control. The fronts calipers seem to have no problems.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,279 Posts
When I got rebuilt Milano rears one of them came with no o-rings between the calipers. So wouldn’t surprise me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In retrospect given the time lost then buying new makes sense, although I do like keeping giving new life to original parts. Hopefully 2nd time around they are all good. On the positive I'm really getting to know the back end of an Alfetta!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Leaking from the inboard adjuster screw is due to fluid escaping from the piston cavity and entering the adjusting cavity. The adjusting cavity is supposed to be empty except for a bit of grease on the worm drive gear.

Repair is a simple replacement of a single o-ring. Usually overlooked during rebuild. It requires splitting the caliper, removing the piston and extracting a snap ring at the bottom of the bore. The worm gear pulls out and you can easily replace the o-ring. I picked up an o-ring from the selection at Ace Hardware. There was a good link on making this repair somewhere - been a couple of months since I did mine for the same issue.

Good luck
Mark

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Leaking from the inboard adjuster screw is due to fluid escaping from the piston cavity and entering the adjusting cavity. The adjusting cavity is supposed to be empty except for a bit of grease on the worm drive gear.

Repair is a simple replacement of a single o-ring. Usually overlooked during rebuild. It requires splitting the caliper, removing the piston and extracting a snap ring at the bottom of the bore. The worm gear pulls out and you can easily replace the o-ring. I picked up an o-ring from the selection at Ace Hardware. There was a good link on making this repair somewhere - been a couple of months since I did mine for the same issue.

Good luck
Mark
Thank you Mark

great to understand it better, thank you

1 - 19 of 19 Posts