Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got the front end of the Alfetta GT up on jackstands to find out why it's leaking some kind of oily fluid. As I was lifting it up by the front crossmember, gasoline started pouring out, so naturally I did the clever thing and got under the car... looks like the fuel is running out of the dummy bell-housing, which seems impossible to me. I looked around once it stopped leaking out, and I can't see any fuel lines anywhere. Can one of the more Alfetta-knowledgeable shed some light on this?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
There are 2 hard fuel lines (supply and return) running from the fuel pump area, underneath passenger side, up towards the fuel filter. They are along side the bell housing as they head up towards the fuel filter.
Rubber line connects the supply line to the fuel filter. Another rubber line connects the FI pump return to the return hard line.
Spray some cleaner stuff all over that area and wait for it to dry.
Take out some life insurance, payable to Sidewaysalfa.
Turn the fuel pump on and search for the leak.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was unable to get the fuel pump going since my battery is dead; however, I did manage to lift the front end enough to get the car leaking again, and the supply and return lines are completely dry. I traced them, and they don't seem to be running anywhere near the bellhousing - they run outside the "frame rail" that runs along the bottom of the car. I will charge the battery next and see what I come up with.

Or does someone have other suggestions in the meantime? If you've faced a similar problem, and maybe even solved it, please let me know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are the fuel injection lines dry where they connect to the injectors? Seems like the last one may run down around the bell housing if it is leaking….

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I tried everything including running the car in its parking spot. Nothing generated the leak, until I finally decided to drive it out of the garage and put some gas in the tank. As I was driving out, I could see a familiar trail behind me. So I turned back... I've now replaced the flexible fuel lines going into the blue filter canister, and coming out of the SPICA pump, just for the sake of eliminating them as a cause. The car now pours out fuel every time I run it.

I'm going to have it towed to a mechanic tomorrow, unless someone has a good suggestion of what else to consider. Fuel is still running down from the center of the car, not from where the hard lines run outside the frame rail.

As usual, any suggestions for getting this thing back on the road would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Leaking from the front - at the dummy bellhousing.

Not sure what leak detector developer is - I have a suspicion it's running down from the fuel lines across the cross member and out at the dummy bellhousing somehow, but I'm not sure, and I can't really see that much fluid on the cross member that I would believe my own suspicion. If you think this stuff would help, I'd love to hear how.

Thanks.

·
Registered
750 Posts
This is a no brainer, unless you've done them in the past few years - replace all the fuel lines. It's smelly but it isn't that difficult or expensive - or have your mech. do it. It just isn't worth the risk of having your car go up in flames. And replace all the lines at once, because just as you replace the one you know is leaking, a month later another will go bad, and then another, and another ...

GV

·
Registered
324 Posts
GVVGTV6 has your answer. on a car of this age, if one line is going bad, the rest will follow. apart from the solid lines , which are easy to make up, the rest are flexible, you can buy lengths of it. Replace all of them, its easy, a days work at the most.

·
Registered
102 Posts
One other thing

to check. Is there fuel in your oil? As in, you have mostly fuel mix leaking from your rear main seal? I have had a Spica dump so much fuel into the pan that I could no longer call it an 'oil' pan :rolleyes:. With that , there was fuel/oil mix pouring from every seal, including the mains. On a good note, once the Spica pump was replaced and the oil changed, the seals dried up and quit leaking...

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
YES replace them all- the one that runs across under the rear of the car from the tank outlet on the driver's side over to the pump on the passenger side was so dry rotted on mine it literally split apart in my hand when I tried to replace the fuel filter.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Luckily catsboy, it isn't leaking from every seal, so I'm hoping that's not the problem.

And La Voce, judging by the look and feel of most of the hoses, they've been replaced fairly recently (during the PO's tenure). Not sure if he replaced the metal lines though, and that's why I've had the car towed down to my mechanic.

At this point I'm fed up of seeing the car sitting there, and my (admittedly limited) unsuccessful attempts... and I'm sure my neighbors feel the same, since technically, I'm not supposed to do any repairs. I think I'll use the time saved to wash the other two cars and clean up the Alfetta's parking spot. If I remember to do it, I'll give an update on the fix when it's done.

Thanks!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, my worst fears have come true - fuel in the oil, leaking out the rear main... mechanic says it's a bad pump. I guess I'm on the hunt for a good used pump, then I have to brace myself for that bill and the bill for 5-6 hours' labor.

My only faint glimmer of hope is that Eddie (my mechanic) says Larry Jr. at APE told him you can remove the SPICA oil filter, and there's a pressure release valve in there that you can you can hit, then disconnect the fuel pump and crank the engine over to build up oil pressure. Have any of you heard of that method? Although I'm thinking with working around the air pump that it might be just as much labor to hedge my bets and just replace the thing.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has anybody got experience with getting a known-good SPICA pump from APE?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I have bought a couple of pumps from them. The pumps are good and the price is reasonable. You will have to send the core back.

About the metal lines, they go bad and leak inside of the rubber shroud. YOu won't find your leak until you peel back the rubber. The rubber traps moisture and that is where it will rust.
Replace all of the rubber fuel lines.

Sometimes the fuel filter gets installed wrong and the Orings will leak. Did you check that too? The copper gasket under the bolt will leak. You might have to replace that and check that there isn't any grit under the bolt head when you reinstall it. Run the pump with out starting the car to check for fuel leaks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Interesting, I guess I should report that I am having the same problem on my 1974 2000 GTV with a bad SPICA pump. It was dumping A LOT of gas into the oil because the SPICA seals had gone bad. I changed the oil out and unwisely drove for about 150 miles, the oil topped up again with fuel. I left the car parked for about 2 months. As the car was sitting parked, the fuel started to leak out of the rear main seal.. or somewhere else. Now when the car runs, it leaks very fast out the rear main seal. I got a newly rebuilt SPICA pump from Dan at Foreign Auto Members in San Diego and I have decided to get some help from a local alfa mechanic here in Ventura County. It is going in tomorrow. I am hopeful that the rear main seal leak will stop or at least slow down when I have real oil in the engine again. I am worried I may have caused some permanent damage to my engine since last time I checked fuel is not a good lubricant. I was highly advised against using an older pump, the rebuilt pump cost $600 and looks absolutely beautiful... we'll see how it runs soon. The Alfetta GT uses the same SPICA system? When did Alfa move away from mechanical fuel injection?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
There is a guy selling an entire SPICA systerm on Ebay. Auction number 270236999953. Good luck!

Ruben Velez
Potholesburgh, Pa

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't have to get any seals replaced when I got my SPICA replaced; however, my mechanic did run through 2 oil changes to make sure all the fuel was out of the system. I would not worry about damage to the rings or bearings until you see clear evidence of that, such as burning oil, weird noises, etc. Advice I got from 2 mechanics on separate occasions was that rebuilt vs. used has about the same success rate (or failure rate for all you pessimists). The first used pump I got from APE was bad, but I still came out slightly ahead in spite of the R&R costs for that. And so far, so good on this one, I just did a 1000-mile drive to Seattle and it ran great.

The final year for SPICA was 1981.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My car is done. SPICA replaced and tuned by a local shop for $300 - 4 hours labor in the Alfa books. Leak out the rear main seal (which was largely fuel) seems to have stopped, car runs well (though cold start needs work - I'm going to need a new temperature switch).

I fail to see the logic of putting an old / used SPICA into the car. I got a beautifully rebuilt SPICA for $600 (I picked up in person). Installation was $300. Why bother to put an old P.O.S. SPICA from a junkyard or ebay into the car when installation costs are more than half the battle? Not to mention the cost of the used unit... If I pay $100 for the used SPICA, I just saved $200. I could mow lawns on a weekend and make up the difference!

Well, my worst fears have come true - fuel in the oil, leaking out the rear main... mechanic says it's a bad pump. I guess I'm on the hunt for a good used pump, then I have to brace myself for that bill and the bill for 5-6 hours' labor.
Anyway, my SPICA transplant seems to have been a success, and my engine seems to have survived, though I was told I had one of the worst fuel-to-oil leaks ever seen on this planet! Best of luck to you guys with the similar problem.
Andre

1 - 20 of 22 Posts