Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read many discussions about the oil pressure and oil pressure sender problems. During all this reading I learned, contrary to my understanding, that the switch behind the alternator on the 2L engines is a low pressure switch and not a low level switch. I opened up my wiring diagrams and noticed that the 79 Alfetta does not have such a switch. My engine has been replaced with a Twin Spark which has a switch at this location. I also verified that I have no wire in the engine bay around there for a switch. Can anyone confirm that this was indeed not needed and there is no dash light that can be used for it? I would like to add a switch with a light in the cabin. Did anyone do that?

I also noticed the orientation of this switch on my 74 GTV is straight out of the engine, and on the Twin Spark engine there is a banjo fitting and the switch is parallel to the engine. I think late Spiders have the same as the Twin Spark. I have a diagram below showing this orientation. Is there a problem with the old way to do it, screwing the switch straight into the block?

I was even thinking of using a tee fitting here to have the switch and an aftermarket sensor and put a new light and gauge in the cabin to compare to the Alfa sensor/gauge. Has anyone done that before? Would the heat of the exhaust manifold pose a problem to the sensor?

Thanks,
Stefano

74.jpg
79.jpg
SwitchOrientation.JPG

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
My 78 Sport Sedan has the boss but not drilled and tapped.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, that makes sense. The engine that came out of my Alfetta was originally from an earlier GTV and the mechanic who installed it put a plug in the hole. I wonder why the Aftettas didn't have it. Spiders at the time and later still had it.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Yep. My 78 Spider has it.

Alfettas don't have the crankshaft drilled for a pilot bushing either.......

I was hoping the Alfetta had the oil pressure boss drilled. That would make it way easier to hook up a mechanical gauge for testing purposes, without removing that factory sending unit. I made a special wrench for that though.

·
Premium Member
13,982 Posts
Both Alfetta's and GTV6's did not have a low oil pressure switch. For many years I had an alfetta block engine in my Spider and I had no oil pressure warning light. Later I fitted a 164 motor into my GTV6 which had an oil pressure switch but no warning light to connect it to.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Both Alfetta's and GTV6's did not have a low oil pressure switch. For many years I had an alfetta block engine in my Spider and I had no oil pressure warning light. Later I fitted a 164 motor into my GTV6 which had an oil pressure switch but no warning light to connect it to.

That sounds like a reasonable upgrade to get a low oil pressure lamp.... LOL.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a nice warning light that came from a 246 Dino I got real cheap from eBay. I've been dying to install it. I wan't to compete with Homebuilt by Jeff (if you follow that build) and have a Alferrari (well, electrics anyway). I already have a power terminal block from a 308 feeding the wiring harness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts