Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever gotten an Alfetta hood to fit onto a GTV-6?

Maybe the low profile intake manifold from a 164 might be low enough to clear?

It would look so much nicer. I really think the bump spoils the car's lines.

Thanks
Rex

·
Registered
398 Posts
The GTV 2.0 and the older Alfetta GT both have a flat hood on otherwise identical bodywork to the GTV6. If you put a GTV 2.0 hood on a GTV6, it doesn't clear the plenum, so to swap it you'd need to find another way for the air to reach the cylinders.

I believe it has been done. Otherwise, you could always look for an Alfetta GT and drop a twin-spark in it - with a turbo it might even exceed the power rating of the stock GTV6 engine!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matt: that's why I was proposing to use the "low profile" intake manifolds from an Alfa 164. Instead of going straight up, the tubes on the 164 curve around, keeping the plenum right on top of the valve cover, which looks like it would be lower than a 4 cylinder.

I agree that a 4 cylinder would be lighter, but the 3 L 6 in my car really sings. I am inclined to think that the way to better handing is with the Ron Simmons suspension.

Rex

·
Registered
151 Posts
My car has custom King Springs, Konis rear and AVO coilovers front....combined with the 13x10" slicks and 850kg mass (hoping to reduce that a little one day but we'll see), I'm hoping it will handle just fine...it's likely me who will chicken out before I find the limits. Got to drive the thing first!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Matt: that's why I was proposing to use the "low profile" intake manifolds from an Alfa 164. Instead of going straight up, the tubes on the 164 curve around, keeping the plenum right on top of the valve cover, which looks like it would be lower than a 4 cylinder.
Sorry, silly me, didn't read properly - although I don't really think the 164 setup is lower overall, it's more like they put the height in a more convenient place for a transverse mount. Of course you could mount intake runners right over the tops of the heads and go for a plenum right off to the side (or dual plenums ... plena?) but I wonder if substantially changing the length of the intake runners would have adverse effects on the engine's breathing.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Lowering the engine will screw with the driveshaft alignment.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
imo the gtv8 hood looks VERY out of place due to the very smooth rounded lines clashing with the alfetta/gtv6 sharp edges on every body line

shorter runners and a wider flatter plenum would get you under a fetta hood

S

·
0 Posts
I have to agree with shortlife. But, I like the stock GTV-6 hood, so I'm probably biased.

David
'86 GTV-6 2.8 GS
(Black-62k)

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
i dont exactly "like" the stock gtv6 hood but will gladly admit that its the only hood that mimics all of the rest of the car;s lines and is hard to see anything else looking "correct" in its place...........and im the farthest thing from a purist

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
While it would take a bit of work, maybe cutting a 4cyl bonnet along the fold lines and raising the centre section gradually from front to rear would clear the V6 and form a largish rear facing scoop which may look more in keeping with the original lines ? The biggest issue would be in retaining the rigidity as there is a lot of underbonnet strengthening that would need to be modified.

Chapparal did a fwd facing version that doesn't look too bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
There are GTVs getting around with 3.0 conversions that use the 164 plenum and can use a 2.0 bonnet without the hump.

I prefer the hump - looks tough and gives the car more attitude when it quickly arrives in somebodys rear view mirror! For the aussies, I'm tempted to get a Falcon XR8 so I can have a matching set of bonnets!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts