Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I bought a couple of Carello headlights off ebay for my Alfetta GT which turn out to be the wrong ones. Can anyone help identify which make and model they come from? I did post this thread under electrical but didn't get any response. I have since been told they are from an early model alfetta sedan so am trying my luck again.

The Carello part number on the bowl is 03.230.800 and the Carello No of the lens is 03.240.700. They are for a left hand drive vehicle and are the low beams.

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The lights from my '76 Alfetta sedan were the same configuration as my '76 and '79 coupes and the 83 GTV6. The ones pictured look to have odd fittings for an Alfetta.

All the round 'fetta lights I've seen only have one fixed screw to secure them at a top corner and another adjustable screw at the other top corner. They have a pin at the lower corner that slips into the other adjuster. A major difference between inners and outers is the cross sectional shape of the lower locating pin.

Being for a LHD car the items you bought will cast their beam to the wrong side for Australian driving.

If you are having difficulty getting lights for the 'Fetta at reasonable cost I suggest you source a set of headlight buckets for a US market car and thgen you can fit any proprietary light of the correct diameter, including sealed beams. This also works out considerably cheaper than the original Carellos.

If you do a search within the Alfetta forum there is a thread there all about the various Alfetta headlights, including pics.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info and advice. I have since learnt the difference in headlights for left and right hand drive cars, an expensive lesson. I was considering the conversion you mention and will probably go that way once I resell these headligts. That is once I can identify them.

The source that told me that they were for an Alfetta sedan did say they were for an early Alfetta sedan. Were the Alfetta sedans built from 1972 or 1975? I have a David Owen book which has a picture of a 1972 sedan which appears to have similiar headlights but it is difficult to tell for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Thanks for the info and advice. I have since learnt the difference in headlights for left and right hand drive cars, an expensive lesson. I was considering the conversion you mention and will probably go that way once I resell these headligts. That is once I can identify them.

The source that told me that they were for an Alfetta sedan did say they were for an early Alfetta sedan. Were the Alfetta sedans built from 1972 or 1975? I have a David Owen book which has a picture of a 1972 sedan which appears to have similiar headlights but it is difficult to tell for sure.
I'm with Beatle on this - those do not appear to be the correct fitting for any Alfetta model. Beatle's description is spot on - 2 screws and one pressure-fitting clip/pin thingy, on every Alfetta light I've ever seen (and I have Carello's on my '79...), Series 1 sedans have an adjustable beam knob - but that doesn't come into play with mounting the lights in their buckets.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Maybe the lights are for a 'Sud or 'Sud Sprint ? A later Giulia sedan, 1750/2000 Berlina ? Possibly off the very last of the Alfetta sedans.

Post the pic on the 105 Sedan and the 'Sud forums to see if we can identify the light correctly.

I'm really beginning to think its off a Fiat or other Italian car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the earlier Alfetta Sedans from 1972 when they wer first introduced to 1974/1975 may have had the headlights that I have incorrectly purchased. From 1975 onwards they seem to have the more common attachment points. Attached is a picture of a 1972 Alfetta Berlina Saloon and you can just make out a shiny screw in the middle top of the headlight which seems to look like the lights I have purchased. but obviously it isn't conclusive Any owners of a early pre 1975 Alfetta out there that can confirm?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Looks like you're on to something there - I found this picture as well, that shows the same center top screw. It also seem to be lacking the manual adjustment lever. I'll have to check in my manuals when I return home and see if there is any mention of the early models having different lights (I'm out of town at the moment - but I've got lots of books/manuals at home).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Doing some more research on this - it appears that your light only fits '73-77 1.8L Alfetta Sedans - go figure. 1.6, and 2.0 liter first series sedans had different attachment points - though, for the life of me I can't think of why?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for you help SFALFA.

Pretty odd that its just for one specific Alfetta model. I wonder if they were used for anything else?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey guys,

I hate to burst your bubble but I just checked my '76 1.8L Autocross car and it has the same lights as my '82 GTV 2.0 and my '86 GTV6, see pics below.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Hey guys,

I hate to burst your bubble but I just checked my '76 1.8L Autocross car and it has the same lights as my '82 GTV 2.0 and my '86 GTV6, see pics below.
I don't think you've burst anyone's bubble FrencheGTV. This looks exactly like a host of other Alfa idiosyncrasies where there were a variety of parts changes made over time that you can't simply nail down to an exact date. I believe industrial problems in the '70s may have forced Alfa to source parts from a variety of sources to keep up production of vehicles. Further, various countries have differing regulations so minor changes must be made to vehicles for sale in those markets. Our ADRs and Californian regs are classic example of this.

The lights you show are the common Euro style I was referring to earlier, but the photo posted by SFALFA certainly shows a centralised top screw on that 'Fetta.

The odd light was probably destined for a specific market, but these things have a habit of spreading far and wide.

You will also see, when comparing the grille of the green car with yours, that the grilles are substantially different. The green car seems to have sheetmetal around the Alfa 'heart' and the heart is not as wide as yours either.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Okay - so I'm going to wager a guess that we can narrow down the years to '73 - '75 1.8L - which would take into account the narrower grill (which switched to the wider shield for the '76 model year).

·
Registered
55 Posts
I once owned a narrow grille 75 Alfetta 1.8 sedan and it didn't have the three adjusters for the headlights.

I believe from speaking to local Alfa guru Tony McKone, only the really early 72 -74 Alfettas had these adjusters. From 75 onwards all the Alfettas including the GTs (mine is a 75) have the two adjusters only.

Italiansedanman, what colour is your Alfetta sedan? If I were you, I'd hold onto that car, having owned one there really are the pick of the Alfetta models.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Italiansedanman, what colour is your Alfetta sedan? If I were you, I'd hold onto that car, having owned one there really are the pick of the Alfetta models.
It is verde olivo metalizzato - even more reason to keep it!

I have been flirting with the idea of making a Carabinieri replica though...

·
Registered
55 Posts
It is verde olivo metalizzato - even more reason to keep it!

I have been flirting with the idea of making a Carabinieri replica though...
You didn't happen to buy this car from a guy called Ron from up Newcastle way? Does it have an early 74 compliance (say 6/74?)

If you did then it's the first Alfetta here, the Sydney Motor Show car that was brought by the late Harry Lewis an early President of the NSW Alfa Romeo Owners Club.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
No, I bought the car locally here, just outside Byron Bay. Its an August 74 car (Compliance plate).

If it were the Sydney Motor show car i'd be excited though!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PRN31 thanks for the clarification on the dates. Would your local Alfa guru know if these lights were used by any other make or model. It seems odd if they were only ever made for the Alfetta's?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts