Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,I have some trouble with my 82gtv2.0 that I bought one year ago.The car had an engine refresh kit (the previous owner changes rings, gaskets, main bearings) but when I asked the mechanic who did the job if he had something to the cylinder head (changed valve guides, seats etc) he told me that they were very strong and that they didn´t wear enough.

This weekend I balanced my carbs with a synchrometer and used a colortune to adjust the mixture and OHHH surprise!!! when I took number 3 plug, it was somewhat fouled with oil (the other 3 were sooty since the carbs were not right, think that when I changed the exhaust it affected the carbs and made them richer, since after that mod the car vibrated) and the cylinder head had some oil by the plug thread, and around the plug (seems that oil passed through the plug to the top of the head).
I haven´t done a vacuum test yet, which I will definately do (please tell me where can I fit the vacuum gauge) but I think that I´ll have to refresh the head and don´t know what parts to change and were to buy (centerline or IAP, since I has a bad experience with alfa ricambi, a box took two months to reach PERU!!!). I have found the headgasket here, so I will buy it here, but I wanted to buy the O rings of teflon that you have in the USA. I think I will have to buy new guides and seals but should I use them also on the exhaust valves? (I think I should), would I´ll need to but new valves? (I am on the budget) shims?
Please help, first car, and first alfa!!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Ennio is it blowing any blue smoke? You can check by revving the engine then quickly taking foot off the throttle-if valve guides need attention smoke will be visible once you take your foot off. If it doesnt blow smoke you have nothing to worry about-in fact a little smoke on the overrun (emphasis on a little) is nothing abnormal for an Alfa twincam, especially after a long period of idling. Depending on engine condition , fuel and driving conditions the plugs will foul. Best thing before you do anything is give it an "Italian Tuneup" -drive it hard and to the redline then recheck your plugs and for any serious smoking.
Incidently I`ve found the UK vendors to be excellent in all aspects including delivery time.

Richard J
`65 Giulia Ti 1600, `69 GT Junior, `74 GTV 2000, `76 Alfetta GTV, `77 Alfetta GTV, `84 GTV6

1 - 2 of 2 Posts