Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I own a 1982 gtv2.0 (alfetta-gvt) that I bought one yaer ago, the car had an engine refresh kit (the previous owner changes rings, gaskets, main bearings) but when I asked the mechanic who did the job if he had something to the cylinder head (changed valve guides, seats etc) he told me that they were very strong and that they didn´t wear enough.

This weekend I balanced my carbs with a synchrometer and used a colortune to adjust the mixture and OHHH surprise!!!:eek: when I took number 3 plug, it was somewhat fouled with oil (the other 3 were sooty since the carbs were not right, think that when I changed the exhaust it affected the carbs and made them richer, since after that mod the car vibrated) and the cylinder head had some oil by the plug thread, and around the plug (seems that oil passed through the plug to the top of the head).
I haven´t done a vacuum test yet, which I will definately do (please tell me where can I fit the vacuum gauge) but I think that I´ll have to refresh the head and don´t know what parts to change and were to buy (centerline or IAP, since I has a bad experience with alfa ricambi, a box took two months to reach PERU!!!). I have found the headgasket here, so I will buy it here, but I wanted to buy the O rings of teflon that you have in the USA. I think I will have to buy new guides and seals but should I use them also on the exhaust valves? (I think I should), would I´ll need to but new valves? (I am on the budget) shims?
Please help, first car, and first alfa!!

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Hola, Ennio!

First, you need to check the overall condition of the motor.

1. Do a compression test. If you find low compression in a cylinder, put some oil in the cylinder and crank the motor again. If the compression reading goes up you have bad rings. If it remains the same (i.e., low) then you have bad valves. An even better test is a "leak down" test. Almost any repair shop can do this, if you don't have a leak down test kit.

2. Look carefully at the rubber carb. mounts. Are they cracked? Are the cracks big? If they are that could be your problem. Start the motor. Take a can of carb cleaner and spray all around each of the rubber mounts. If you notice a change in the motor's idle, that's were your vacuum leak is.

3. Take the cam cover off and check for breaks in the gasket (or if there is a gasket in place). This is usually a good source for oil leaks. Also, check to see if the cam cover is warped. This is uncommon, but it sometimes happens. Reinstall the cam cover and make sure the hold down nuts are tightened to factory specs and no more. Clean the oil out of the spark plug hole, start the motor again and look carefully for leaks around the cam cover.

Hope this helps, amigo.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gracias Jim.

The carb mounts should be fine, I sprayed carb cleaner before I did the work on the carbs and no change on the idle.

When I did a compresion test on the car last year before I bought it, it was fine, the car had rings changed. But I can give it a try.

The engine leaks (just recently) some oil by the cylinder head, I think they are the O rings of the cylinder head gasket.

I will check the valve cover gasket, and do the other tests to see what I get.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts