Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here's my Alfa I have been working on for a while now, I bought it with quite a few mods and have been working on getting it registered as group S.

The work I've had done so far is cage install, and PACE motor. I've pulled things appart and done the basics myself, but shipped off the motor to PACE to let himwork his magic.
I'm not actually sure how to insert images into this thread (let me know how and I will) but heres a link to Flickr where I have dropped a few on.

Incidentally you will also see the Mazda 1500 I own on this link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/1504834333/

So at the moment I am sorting out the tune, tiding up in the interior and sorting the little jobs that seem to keep coming.
Future jobs include a decent trin spark box upgrade (I've promised myself I'll pull it down and rebuilt it myself), and cutting out some rust that is near the suspension front struts.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi Mike,

If you click on the "Go Advanced" button below the text entry area you get access to all the good bits. Then down the page is a "manage attachements" button and from here you can browse your hard disk and insert photos directly (can't be too big though).

Looks like a great car. I guess you are in Melbourne. There seems to be a great revival of Alfas in group S down there.

What was wrong with the extractors you already had? They look pretty decent to me but I'd say your engine should be a bit of a rocket, did you give Vince a power figure to hit?

Andrew

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Mike,

Nice to see the project is nearing completion. How long till we see it on the track? Any chance of making the Phillip Island Classic in 2008?

Why don't you start a thread on the car in the AROCA Vic Grp S Forum as I think everyone would be keen to see how the car is progressing.

Here's the link to my Grp S car thread - http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,68/topic,219.0/

Regards

Scott

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
always good to see more Alfas in competition - keep up the good work!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi Alfettish,

The groups are CAMS groups in the historic categories and S is the sports car category (MG, Porsche, Alfa etc), while group N is for the sedans (Toranas, falcons, Alfas etc). The have sub-groups for the years. Yep, somehow the 105 series Alfas get into both.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that for the S class you can take bumpers and rear seats out to make it a 2 seater but for the group N it all has to be on to make it a 4 seater "sedan". But then the 105's did race against the sedans back in the good old days.

I don't think you can go the other way and have a Giulia Super or Alfetta sedan in group S, but I'm sure they could probably go in group N.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The anomaly that sees both 105 coupes and Alfetta GTV's as both sports and touring cars is the allowance for two door cars originally homologated as sports cars, which were based on a sedan, to be allowed to be homologated as touring cars as well. Other examples are the Torana, XA-XC Falcons, XJS etc. This homolgation ran out at the end of 1986 which was why the GTV6 was no longer allowed as a touring car.

Group S is the CAMS Category for Historic Production Sports Cars without competition history. ie. new cars can be built, they don't have to be cars that raced in the period. Eligible cars are from the period up to the end of 1977 (plus run on models - ie 105 coupes plus Alfetta GTV thru to 1981). Group N Touring cars only go to the end of 1972 hence no Alfetta or 75.

The beauty of Group S is that they are reletively cheap to build and race and there are plenty of events you can compete in from Club sprint days to Historic race meetings to 1hr production sport car races to Tarmac rallies.

Grids are large (54 cars at the 2007 Phillip Island Historic) and the racing is close. AROCA VIC is running a Group S competition based around the Club's Sprint Days and the major Victorian Historic meetings. There are quite a few cars now complete and about another dozen in the pipeline.

For more info on Group S including rules and specifications go to:

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,68/board,19.0/

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Going very well thanks.

I went out to a couple of group s meetings. I'm not sure its the vibe I am after, I chatted with a couple of teams and to be honest, it turned me off a bit. One fellow with the red gtv was great, but after watching it get smashed up, I started to think perhaps hillclimbs and motorkhana's would be more my thing. And so this is what I have started to enter.

Still in the shake down stage, it's ready to race, but I'm really just learning the setup. I have an lsd in the shed for it and a new set of tyres are on the cards. Other than that, a little tweeking is needed on the carbies and I really need to find someone who knows thier stuff in this department. It seems I can't find the balance between flooding and running out of fuel.

Apart from that, the engine puts 150hp to the wheels (no idea at the flywheel), which I am very happy with, its a very strong motor. Certainly its enough for my skills.

Time wise, I have little, between work and my masters in manufacturing, I have little time. Also I am deep into my Alfetta GT turbo+supercharged project, which takes any free time at the moment.

cheers
Mike

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I like running super sprints also as the risk level is much reduced. Group S used to be quite 'gentlemenly' but have seen a few cars significantly damaged of late (esp when there are combined grids with other classes) and not sure about it any more (but no longer have a 'caged' car so is irrelevant for me anyhow).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey Mike,

Haven't heard from/of you for ages - was wondering what was happening. Are you going to come out to some AROCA sprints again? We're at PI next Saturday, and then Winton 10th August.

cheers,
Evan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts