Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have finished the body/paint of my 82 alfetta-gtv, and I am currently putting the car back together and having the fuse box cleaned contact by contact with a wire brush with aid of a Dremel, replaced all fuses and relays and found that the place where the flasher should be installed is empty.

Seems that previous owners were not very wise on the electricals and the car has two 2-prong flashers (marked X-L as I can recall) installed, one clicks when I operate the turning lights and the other when I use the emergency lights so I guess that each flasher controls different functions of those lights. I must mention that the light in the dash (green with the arrows) doesn´t light up if I use the hazard lights or the turning lights.

I want to re-install an original type 3-prong (X-L-P) flasher in the fuse box, so I would need some help from you. How should I wire this flasher?

- Should both of the wires that go to the X on each individual flasher be wired together into the X-prong of the flasher? Should I wire also the wire that triggers the dash light here(I think it is green)?
-Which wire should go to the L, the one from the turning light flasher or the one from the hazard light flasher?
-Which wire should go to the P, the one from the turning light flasher or the one from the hazard light flasher?

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did some search on the www and found that the specific functions of the prongs in a 3-terminal (X-L-P) flasher are:

-X (49): Input (+) to the flasher.
-L (49a): Output (+) to lamps or indicator switch
-P (31): To the indicator light on the dash

With this in mind, I got the 3-prong flasher, installed all the wiring as it should be: eliminated one power source to one flasher, joined the output wires of the hazard and turning lights into the L terminal and conected the indicator light on the dash to the P terminal.

Now everything works as it should, and I can see my indicator light in the dash working:D and the connections are in their place:cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts