Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, well... Mad Max was a mad Aussie as well, but the bare metal-look duco reminds me of the Back to the Future Delorian.
Even though I doubt this thing could quite get me home before I leave work, I think it'd come darn close. It'd sure make a trip to the video store fun.

D'ya think it'd be worthwhile restoring it back to original kit?:D

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I looked at it & wondered if I could get away with rerouting the exhaust & using it as a saturday night special :p

Would certainly terrify the local ricers :D

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
id be happy with it as is..well other than sorting out the rear suspension or lack there of
It has rear suspension. The Ford 9 inch rear is held in place by a very interesting (and typical of some drag cars) system, and the piece that you see actually moves the axle housing up and down via rods which poke through the rear floor pan. The shocks, springs and four-link system should provide good stability for the massive torque, while the softly sprung axle and long suspension travel should allow for plenty of squat when stepping on the go pedal.

It wouldn't handle corners very well, but hey...that's the compromise you make for quicker E.T. on the strip.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
the top mounts of the axle houseing dont look like they would allow the rearend to move much if any thats what i was actualy eyeing

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
the top mounts of the axle houseing dont look like they would allow the rearend to move much if any thats what i was actualy eyeing
Understood. But have a closer look at the two rods on the top of the differential. They move quite a bit and allow the rear axle to squat quite well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
i dont see how it could move more than 1 inch up or down befor there fighting eachother...

think about it....tie your fists together and put your elbows inbetween to desks or a door frame..now try and move your fists up without pulling your elbows in and see how far you can move.......it just doesnt work.......now if those 2 rods had sliders in them yes it would work like your saying but 2 solid fixed rods like that are going to prevent movement....

.i could see however it allowing up and down travel of 1 wheel while the other goes the opisite direction tho

that setup would work about the same as a straight axle front end with a single bolt piviot in the center like what you find on rideing mowers

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Yep, it needs the original watts link pivot point, that would give it some range of motion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts