Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello can you convert a us column switch for a Alfetta gtv from a us type to euro type so the main and dipped beams stay on simultaneously.Hopefully someone has done this.Thank you

·
Registered
1988 Sprint 1.7QV, 2009 159 LE
9 Posts
I could be wrong here, but I think it should just need a different relay (s). Swap from changeover type to make/break type.
I only say this as I bought the wrong type for my Sprint so when I put main beam on the dip went off.
Worth checking out

·
Push hard and live
9,652 Posts
I recently installed a new column switch in my 78 Alfetta GT. I was told it came from Australia, or maybe New Zealand, but can’t confirm that. It was somewhat different from the one I removed, primarily in having a fourth wiper position for intermittent wiping. Some of the wire colors were different, and there were two plastic connector blocks instead of one like my original.

It took a while to match up all of the wires, but it works fine, and when the Inner high beams are selected the outer beams remain lit.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have a Australian type switch you would have had to re wire anything to have the dipped and main lights working simultaneously.You may had to do some rewiring for your wipers.

·
Push hard and live
9,652 Posts
It turned out to be a straight forward job. Like I said, I’m not certain exactly where the switch came from, or whether it was an Alfetta GT switch. It might have been either a later model Fetta, or even a GTV6 switch. It bolted into place, and required only a little pin-out testing and pin reassignments to get everything up and running.

To be clear, when I switch from low to high, the outer beams stay on, but switch from low to high filament, and the inner beams come on. This would be normal for a US car, so I thought nothing about it.

However, if you are seeking to have the outer beams keep BOTH filament sets lit during high beam selection, I’ve never seen that. It would be a ton of current and heat in the two outer lamps.

·
Push hard and live
9,652 Posts
The wipers were the easiest part of the hookup. Once I realized the switch was a four-position unit (off, int, slow, fast), and my car had circuitry for only off-slow-fast, it all made sense. So, at present, I have two off positions. I’m lazily looking for an intermittent controller to add that function.

·
Premium Member
4,546 Posts
I’m lazily looking for an intermittent controller to add that function.
Spiders from the early 80's to the end had them. APE probably has a box full of them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It turned out to be a straight forward job. Like I said, I’m not certain exactly where the switch came from, or whether it was an Alfetta GT switch. It might have been either a later model Fetta, or even a GTV6 switch. It bolted into place, and required only a little pin-out testing and pin reassignments to get everything up and running.

To be clear, when I switch from low to high, the outer beams stay on, but switch from low to high filament, and the inner beams come on. This would be normal for a US car, so I thought nothing about it.

However, if you are seeking to have the outer beams keep BOTH filament sets lit during high beam selection, I’ve never seen that. It would be a ton of current and heat in the two outer lamps.
Hi my car is a euro car . Australian delivery but I have a US type switch as I brought it at a good price.My car should have both inner and outer working when high beams are on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts