Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I considered posting this in the Pictures of Alfettas thread but decided it deserved a thread of it's own.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some more

The car was in action over the last 2 weekends at the NZ Festival Of Motorsport. This is a historic racing event event held at the new motor racing park at Hampton Downs in the North Island. This year the event was celebrating Chris Amon.

Anyway, here are more photos of this fantastic car. Although it may not have any Alfa mechanicals, you have to admit, it looks fantastic.

And it goes pretty damned quick too!

Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Hi Rik - thanks for the photos - had never seen that car before.

My Dad was racing at that event (white clubman, #77) - any photos of that?

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
You would need some heavy duty hearing protection sitting in there with that engine on full song with the ram tubes inches from your head.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Rik - thanks for the photos - had never seen that car before.

My Dad was racing at that event (white clubman, #77) - any photos of that?
I missed his race this weekend, I was busy wandering around the pits ogling the assorted shiny stuff.

I did see his second race last Saturday though. From memory a TVR Tuscan was having a right old ding dong battle with a Lotus Elan for the lead and a little further back a big block Corvette Stingray was trying to shake off a very well driven Lotus Europa. Great racing. Alas no photos.

Is your Dad coming back next year? You should try and get over it, it's a great event.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If not for a 7 week old addition to the family, I'd probably have been there this year. We'll see for next (not sure about travelling and motor racing with a toddler!)

·
Administrator
13,480 Posts
I know that one of these Alfettas blew up it's transaxle regularily and they used to just ring up a wrecker and get another one ...

Don't know if it was this car though or another in NZ.
Pete

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If not for a 7 week old addition to the family, I'd probably have been there this year. We'll see for next (not sure about travelling and motor racing with a toddler!)
You certainly wouldn't be the only one with a toddler, lots of families there. Just remember the ear muffs. The F5000's and the muscle cars are LOUD!

Does anyone know what was done to the transaxle to survive the power?
KG
It could be as Pete says, just replace. The car is only recently restored and possibly still in that "running in" phase. The next time I see the car out I'll ask the owner.

·
Registered
763 Posts
My biggest question on this car is how do you sit in it?? I seems almost impossible to see over the motor the way it looks??

·
Registered
361 Posts
I remember watching this car race at various tracks in NZ during the mid eighties, It was a truely awesome sight to see!

It's great to see that it lives again...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rik...just saw this message. I may have photos of your dad's car racing. Will need colour and make mate. What races was he in? And what year was it.....? I could only get photos from where I was posted at pit exit...plus it may have been the year the Safety Car was a Ferrari?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts