Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed ventilated front brakes with - I assume - aftermarket calipers? I'm referring to retaining 14" wheels and the 98 mm stud centers.

If so, where did you get both the discs and what calipers are you using?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I looked at buying an alfetta gtv rally car that had gtv6 discs re-drilled for 4 x 98 PCD and volvo 4 spot calipers, so it can be done (stopped real good too), but didn't buy it, so can't provide any more details.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I looked at buying an alfetta gtv rally car that had gtv6 discs re-drilled for 4 x 98 PCD and volvo 4 spot calipers, so it can be done (stopped real good too), but didn't buy it, so can't provide any more details.
Doesn't that setup require 15" wheels?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Lesser Milanos (75s), which share brake components with the GTV6, were supplied with 14" wheels.
right. 2L TS 75 had front vented discs with alloy Brembo calipers under 195/60-14 wheels. Just have this setup! (not 100% sure, but spindles should be the same on all alfetta derivatives; at least, they are interchangeable)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
So if I am understanding correctly the 2L Euro 75 Twinspark used a 4x98 offset with 4 lugs and a 14" wheel?

If correct, I assume a stock early Alfetta ATE caliper could be used with a spacer added with the 2L Euro 75 Twinspark vented disc brakes? In addition the 75/Milano aluminum Brembos from the 2L Euro 75 Twinspark will work, but did Alfa use spacers in these calipers as well to get the vented rotor to work?

·
Registered
180 Posts
So if I am understanding correctly the 2L Euro 75 Twinspark used a 4x98 offset with 4 lugs and a 14" wheel?

If correct, I assume a stock early Alfetta ATE caliper could be used with a spacer added with the 2L Euro 75 Twinspark vented disc brakes? In addition the 75/Milano aluminum Brembos from the 2L Euro 75 Twinspark will work, but did Alfa use spacers in these calipers as well to get the vented rotor to work?
ts used a 5 x 98 bolt pattern. I cannot say if the disc/caliper is a direct swap, but probably yes, ast the lugs are fitted to the disc itself and the overall height of the discs is unchanged.

this is the drawing of the non-vented disc

Brembo | Aftermarket Catalogue

and this is the vented one

since the calipers fitting point are of course on the inner side of the disc, if you add a spacer it will results in the outer half caliper moving outer. The only risck can come from the OD, but if it is a problem I think that any machine shop can put it on a lathe...

Just change the rims, there are plenty of them there out! :)

hope it helps

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Thanks. A 5 bolt stud is not going to work for a Alfetta 4 hole 14" wheel ufortunatly.
ts used a 5 x 98 bolt pattern. I cannot say if the disc/caliper is a direct swap, but probably yes, ast the lugs are fitted to the disc itself and the overall height of the discs is unchanged.

this is the drawing of the non-vented disc

and this is the vented one

hope it helps

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks. A 5 bolt stud is not going to work for a Alfetta 4 hole 14" wheel ufortunatly.
it's exactly what I said, but I edited the text after you red it: you need to change the rims. But if you opt for original ones is not difficult to buy cheap ones.

but you can fit also custom vented discs from Romeo Racing, near Milan, Italy.

http://www.romeoracing.it/Listini/KIT_FRENI_VENTILATI.htm

alfetta tt (tutti i tipi - all models)

picture of items

http://www.romeoracing.it/Foto/FotoVarie/IM000536.JPG

·
Registered
45 Posts
Biba,

If, like me, you don't fancy the idea of redrilling some Milano discs/rotors, there seems to be a solution:

ALFA ROMEO ALFETTA GTV GIULIETTA FRENI MAGGIORATI | eBay

I have ordered a set last week. I'll let you know what I think once I receive them.
With these you are supposed to use GTV6/Milano calipers - which AFAIK are just the same as the Brembo ones used in Alfettas, only with a spacer in the middle.

I wonder if they are manufactured by the same outfit mentioned by d.albe72.

Indeed 75 Twin Spark cars have 5x98 14" wheels with GTV6 discs/rotors and calipers. Probably you could even use these in a 13" wheel: turbodiesel 75s wore 13" 4x98 mm steelies with solid discs - and I have found some conflicting info about one version with the same setup as the Twin Spark...

·
Registered
180 Posts
The guy you bought from and Romeo Racing are not in the same city (about 100 miles distance), but the kit maybe come from the same supplyer. Anyway prices are quite different in favor of Romeo.

Yes, calipers for vented discs are the same used on non-vented discs enlarged with a spacer. Kits are like this: http://www.romeoracing.it/Foto/FotoVarie/IM000536.JPG , and should be cheap.

Anyway if you find a couple of Brembo calipers from a Milano or GTV6, they are made of aluminum and therefore much lighter. I have a couple and can whitness that difference is enormous.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have had the Milano rotors and hubs redrilled - but not installed yet. I'm not impressed regarding the accuracy of the work, so fingers crossed. I also need to lower the left side down which for me is a major pain to do. Hopefully I'll get it right the first time out.

But thanks for the information.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dear all

Hi Ennio - you and that BBer you mentioned are right.

Most unfortunately they turned out to be five-stud 98 mm PCD discs redrilled into 98 mm PCD four-stud format. Certainly not not what I had expected.

I will give Romeo Racing a try once I manage to overcome my disappointment.

Sorry for not replying earlier but there was a misunderstanding with my address and the parcel did not arrive here until last week.

keep the faith

GTV 2.8

·
Registered
166 Posts
I buy milano discs and have them redrilled to 4/98 for every discchange on my track day Alfetta. They work well under hard conditions and it´s a pretty cheap solution.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts