Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to remove the steering column trim/shroud from my 76 Alfetta GT. What type&size of screws/bolts are they? I've got a couple of long screw drivers but they aren't biting.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
If they're like the earlier steering shrouds, it's a hex socket (allen head). I don't remember what size. Keep track of what screw comes from which hole because they're probably different lengths.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
alfa used phillips heads. a PO may have used something else. 2 in rear, one in front.

bottom shroud falls off after removing 3 screws. Top shroud does not come off easily unlesss you remove the pinch bolt. don't force the top shroud. It will crack.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
alfa used phillips heads. a PO may have used something else. 2 in rear, one in front.

bottom shroud falls off after removing 3 screws. Top shroud does not come off easily unlesss you remove the pinch bolt. don't force the top shroud. It will crack.
Really? They must have changed it for the Alfetta then. 105 -115 cars definately used hex head screws with a 3mm socket (I just went out and checked :)) Maybe someone used some of these earlier screws in DND's car. Good advice on the top shroud, I always remove the steering column pinch bolt.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
cheers y'all for the responses. I see a trip to the hardware store in my near future.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
The Alfetta uses 3mm hex/Alan head (as did every Spider's shroud I've removed) 'wrench'. There is a short one in the rear, with two long ones in the center (which are a bear to put back since they need to be threaded through several 'openings'), and I believe the two front ones are somewhat shorter than the middle ones, but might well be wrong there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts