Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on doing a side exit exhaust on my 1976 Alfetta GT (for the sound and performance), has anybody done this before, and if so what would you recommend for mounts and muffler and cat placement. Thanks.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I'm not running the factory preheat exhaust manifold anymore, I have a 3 piece header now

·
Administrator
12,551 Posts
1976 Alfa has a CAT?

Pete

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1976 Alfa has a CAT?

Pete
Yes. The SPICA system was part of Alfa's emissions system, and they came from the factory with cats. At least in the good 'ol US of A, Catalytic converters became government mandated in 1972, and New York's stupid rule is if the car came from the factory with a cat, the the car is required to have a cat, without it you will never pass inspection. Another good reason for my eventual move to Georgia.

·
Push hard and live
9,604 Posts
My 77 Spider, built August 76, has a factory placard stating it conforms to 1977 emission standards without a CAT.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 77 Spider, built August 76, has a factory placard stating it conforms to 1977 emission standards without a CAT.
Well yes, but I don't have to do emissions junk where I live now or where I'm moving to in Georgia, I guess now I just need to know whether or not the Alfetta came from the factory with a cat. Again, with NY's dumb rule I can't pass inspection without it if the car had a cat from the factory and I didn't put one on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've just installed a stock system (3 pieces after the header) and was dreaming of a side exhaust by way of a valve which might be able to be splice in between one of those sections (before the mid muffler I would guess). Something like this (although this particular model is cast and doesnt have a great reputation) and hopefully with a side cut oval exit exhaust.... Then you could get the best of both worlds. (what I do like about a stock system is that the first piece after the header attaches to the mount off the bell housing - the botched one I removed didn't.

·
Administrator
12,551 Posts
Please be aware that side exhausts can cause exhaust cracking issues because the exhaust system is shorter and therefore has less acceptance of engine movement (this is why exhaust systems on most cars run near the middle of the car, and only go to the side near the end ... so there is a nice long pipe to deal with any twisting). With race cars this is not an issue as the engine can be more solidly mounted.

Best
Pete

·
Registered
790 Posts
I once owned Greg Gordon's GTV6 with his cat back exhaust. Didn't have a muffler since it really didn't have any room. I now own a 76 Alfetta GT with an out the back exhaust, that has a cat and a small muffler and its still pretty loud but is under the DB's at most tracks. I think a regular exhaust/muffler shop would be able to form the side pipes following the underside contours, as described in Greg's website, it has a photo. It's not difficult unless you want to try to fit a muffler on the side out pipe. I don't think it would fit well, would hang down too low.

http://www.hiperformancestore.com/GTV6intakes.htm

·
Registered
47 Posts
I once owned Greg Gordon's GTV6 with his cat back exhaust. Didn't have a muffler since it really didn't have any room. I now own a 76 Alfetta GT with an out the back exhaust, that has a cat and a small muffler and its still pretty loud but is under the DB's at most tracks. I think a regular exhaust/muffler shop would be able to form the side pipes following the underside contours, as described in Greg's website, it has a photo. It's not difficult unless you want to try to fit a muffler on the side out pipe. I don't think it would fit well, would hang down too low.

http://www.hiperformancestore.com/GTV6intakes.htm
That Gtv6 system is cool!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Seems like an ok systems but from I can tell from the photo, the side out is on the passenger side? Passenger side has the fuel pump and fuel lines, driver side has the brake lines. If I were to pick a side for the side out, I would do the drivers side since it doesn't have the fuel pump/lines.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems like an ok systems but from I can tell from the photo, the side out is on the passenger side? Passenger side has the fuel pump and fuel lines, driver side has the brake lines. If I were to pick a side for the side out, I would do the drivers side since it doesn't have the fuel pump/lines.
I was going to make it exit on the driver's side, my idea for even doing this in the first place came from the 1965 Giulia TZ2 in Gran Turismo Sport ?‍♂, which has a driver's side exit. I don't think I clarified this, but this is a street car, so I should try and fit at least one muffler so I don't get into to much trouble with the cops or rice rocket owners that are mad because an inline 4 can actually sound good. I was thinking of getting a muffler tip, something like one of these 3 (sorry for the fact that they're on CARiD, but they're the only ones I trust [other than Amazon] that have what I'm looking for). I'm leaning towards the black Flowmaster.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,566 Posts
On our Lemons Milano we plan to keep the stock or close to stock muffler then run it out the side like in the photo above. Just haven't gotten around to it yet

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
790 Posts
For the Alfetta GT, I did a search on the Euro Alfa 75 turbo. The Europeans do a lot more with their 116's than we do since they have more available. Check out the side exhaust and rear exhaust options for the TS 4cylinder turbo.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Archaeologist, I'd be interested to see your side out plan. I too have an 87 Milano Verde I plan for rallycross, and want to do a side out instead of rear. Sometimes the rear exhaust bangs against the ground on rougher roads. Its allowed under stock rules with SCCA.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
"I once owned Greg Gordon's GTV6 with his cat back exhaust. Didn't have a muffler since it really didn't have any room."
You mean this one? !! It became the Blue Meanie the day I took this photo, having bought it from you in Reno that very morning!
I drove it to the Portland Oregon Convention from there,It was LOUD!!. I then raced it, and drove it back to Maine.
I got stopped 5 times by the police on the way back.
But I have to tell you, those straight pipe side outs sounded Glorious at 7K rpm down the front straight at at Portland International Raceway!! The sound slammed back at you front the jersey barriers!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Still have the side outs? for sale? I have a rallycross 87 Milano it might fit. Come on, they weren't that loud. When I bought the car from Greg, I drove all the way from Tulsa to Reno, never got stopped by any cops. Radio was good enough to drown out the sound. I did have a motorcycle cop in reno, ask me to roll down my window to ask what kind of car it was. He gave me a big thumbs up and gave me the "rev it up" sign. Revved it up, he gave me a big thumbs up and drove away. Reno is home of Hot August Nights, so a noisy Euro car doesn't mean squat here.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts