Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone is wide awake enough (had their coffee) this Monday morning for higher math and just happen to have a Cray computer near by.

At the moment my right (pasenger side) suspension is removed. There is (was) a 11/16" difference (measured from floor to center of wheel opening) from side-to-side with the driver's side being higher. 11/16" equates to 18 mm (+/-). Since the driver's side is supposed to be higher (how much?), I pulled 2 mm out of the air as the difference, so I want to raise the right side 16 mm.

The June '79 Alfa Owner (when talking about lowering the car) says for each spline (moving both ends) equates to a 1.25" variation in ride height. That would be 10.66 splines.

I'm willing to throw in a bit more height to the left (driver's side) and round it off to 10 splines that I need to rotate the right torsion bar (both ends) counter clockwise looking from front to back.

I truly need verification of those figures/thought process, since I have not the slightest desire to take it all apart to 'try again' in this heat. Your astute input is most appreciated.

Biba

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Folks, I even broke down and read what others have had to say on the subject. Beatle Bayly claims the variation in number of splines is brilliant and makes it a verniar adjustment.

IF this is the case, the difference in alignment (pretend there is a pinpoint laser aimed from the rear to the front) is certainly miniscule per click. Go with me on this (for now). 1 click at one end is 10 degrees 17 minutes which equals 617 minutes. Divide 617 by 35 (number of splines in the front) and one gets 17.6 minutes per spline difference, front to back. So if I want to raise the right side of my Alfetta GT (roughly 5/8"/16.5 mm) and moving the T-bar at the rear 10 clicks clockwise as well as the front 10 clicks, it lowers the end of the lower A-arm 1.76 minutes (about the thickness of a small fart), but will magically move the right side up 5/8"???

C'mon, get out those Cray's and help me here.

Biba

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GV, thanks, but unfortunately my right suspension is completely dismantled so no chance to measure the distance from the lower A-arm to the floor. Obviously I did measure from the floor to the center of the wheel well opening on both sides before dismantling though.

Guess I'm stuck with counting splines. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Biba

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny, but I keep feeling I'm talking to myself. The counting of splines works just fine. I wish I'd done several more clicks but I did bring up the right side 'a fair amount'.

What I hadn't counted on was by changing the tire rod ends, upper and lower ball joints, but especially rebushing the upper and lower A-arms, that alone brought the two sides up about a 1/2".

B.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts