Alfa Romeo Forums banner
41 - 60 of 137 Posts

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Not aftermarket, in that it was installed as part of the MM package. It's a Borg, if memory serves.

Reactions: davbert

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does anybody know what the knob to the left of the clock is? I wanna say Mille Miglia Alfettas also came with rectangular Cibie fog lights, so maybe that is the switch for them? Or perhaps rear wiper switch?
My '79 MM has the same knob (seemingly broken), but instead of being on the wood part, it is slightly below.

Here is the clock from my car. Before I removed it from the dash, it perpetually displayed "00:02"
Its a Korean made Audiovox Model LED-76. I have no reason to believe it is not original to the car, though it is mounted pretty crooked in the plastic surround. It looks to be the same unit as yours.

Hand Digital camera Finger Gadget Wrist

Finger Circuit component Wood Font Technology

Hand Wood Gesture Finger Rectangle

·
Registered
1979 Alfetta MM
2,111 Posts
That’s the wiper switch. My fog light switch is here. Oh and thanks for reminding me that’s one more thing to add to the list. :) Mine have cracked lenses and were In the trunk. I’ll probably go with round, I just like that look more.
Fixture Car Family car Electric blue Auto part
Vehicle Hood Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Well clearly my memory isn't that good. I assume that the clocks all the same brand, so Audiovox it is. :)

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
This is pretty cool - really confirms that Alfa was putting together just about anything they could to get these cars to sell. My clock is completely different and between the instrument pods, there is no evidence of a fog light switch on the console or anywhere else, and the wiper switch is to the left hand of the tach - below the wood strip. I suspect that there were several groups of people who "updated" these specials at the port or dealer. Probably working off of poorly written, half Italian instructions. :)

Worked on the fuel system over the weekend. Going to have to pull the tank and have it boiled out. The Banjo fitting at the bottom was filled with black crud. The rear filter looked original to the car.:oops: Worst part of the job was removing the 1/2 inch line that runs transverse from the first filter to the pump. It was rusted into the chassis and I needed to pound it out. Couldn't pull it because it would crumble in the pliers. All soft lines will be replaced.

I rebuilt the front filter. Seals were well adhered and it took some force to get it all apart. Felt good to have a fresh part go back on. Next up is the three port fuel pump. Looks like this can come apart, so will try to rebuild rather than replace. Pulled the valve cover and checked clearance on the two valves that were in the correct position. Between 0.018 and 0.019 on the intake, 0.022 and 0.023 on the exhaust. Good enough for now. Cams and followers looked clean. Chain tension looks OK, but obviously had run loose at some point based on the marks on the bottom of the valve cover.

Are the Fispa check valves on the inlet and outlet of the injection pump correct? I don't recall these ever being mentioned, and want to make sure that I set the system up with the best chance of working as I reassemble. Picture below.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Electrical wiring Automotive exterior

Other pictures of this weekend's work:

Scores in the valve cover - probably about 1/16 deep

Automotive tire Black Motor vehicle Bumper Gas

Timing chain tension:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Bicycle part Bicycle fork

Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Hood Bicycle part

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry to dwell on the interior, but I'm pretty fascinated by all the differences.

I guess the MM Edition and Velocissima were dealer installed accessory packs and different dealers had different ideas of where things should go?

Here is the switch and clock placement on my '79 MM. My foglight switch is mounted to a plastic angle piece.

I'm assuming the Holley knob is an aftermarket choke, while the handle labeled "Throttle" would be the stock cold start mechanism? My car had the SPICA replaced by a rack of Dellorto DHLA 40s at some point.

Ok, I'm done hijacking the thread, I promise.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1979 Alfetta MM
2,111 Posts
I’d replace that chain.
Sorry to dwell on the interior, but I'm pretty fascinated by all the differences.

I guess the MM Edition and Velocissima were dealer installed accessory packs and different dealers had different ideas of where things should go?

Here is the switch and clock placement on my '79 MM. My foglight switch is mounted to a plastic angle piece.

I'm assuming the Holley knob is an aftermarket choke, while the handle labeled "Throttle" would be the stock cold start mechanism? My car had the SPICA replaced by a rack of Dellorto DHLA 40s at some point.

Ok, I'm done hijacking the thread, I promise.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
The cold start is a solenoid. The hand throttle is simply that. The owners manual says after starting you can use the hand throttle to adjust the rpm. It can be used as a crude cruise control but there is no brake defeat so at your own risk….

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
"It can be used as a crude cruise control but there is no brake defeat so at your own risk…. " I am actually looking forward to trying that! :)

No Hijack apologies needed. Actually, your information helps lead me that this may be more of a MM than I thought. My lower LH dash is laid out the same as yours with the rear wiper switch. There are two mounting holes where your fog light bracket is mounted - evidence of it being there before on mine. If you have a chance to capture a couple of close ups of the bracket, that would be appreciated. I like and use fog lights, though this car currently has none.

The clock mounting position is definitely different between our cars. And of course I don't have the auxiliary choke since it is still Spica.

Vintagemilano - yes there are arrows on the check valves and they are pointing in the correct direction. I first thought they were add in filters until I saw the arrows. Fispa markings made me think that they were stock items. Your knowledge of them existing helps add credence to that as well.

You never know what a PO may have done to a car, and I find it best to try and return to stock if I find any issues on restart. Layering fix upon fix is usually not a good solution.

Busted open the Bosch 3 port fuel pump last night - looks like a couple of O-rings and cleaning out will resolve. pumping components were stuck fast with old fuel, but not corroded.

Tonight is a Marty Stuart concert, so no Alfa work. But I do have Friday off :)

Thanks
Mark

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
I don’t have knowledge, I’m just regurgitating what I read a bit ago in this thread.... :-s

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Thanks - nice reference. I'll keep the checks in place unless a reason becomes apparent to remove one or both.

·
Registered
1979 Alfetta MM
2,111 Posts
Mark, could you post a picture of your A/C control? I’d just be interested in the how it compares to mine since as you mentioned it seems dealers installed things in their unique way.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Not aftermarket, in that it was installed as part of the MM package. It's a Borg, if memory serves.
Well the origins are generic aftermarket for sure, but they did officially come on alfa MM’s as factory spec as you mentioned

Here’s nos cheap for you guys that want a spare…

folks had these on RV’s too with their CB radios 😊

Product Automotive tire Font Liquid Box

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Not the best picture - it was dark in the barn this morning!
Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Mode of transport Gauge

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ha, once again different. Thanks for the Photo.
My AC controls look just like yours.

Just noticed my Holley choke knob is in the exact same spot as what looks like a gauge backlight dimmer on your car. Even seems to have the same plastic surround.

What model Blaupunkt stereo do you have? I have a modern Alpine head unit, but I'd like to put mine back to original. Are your speakers Pioneer?

·
Registered
1979 Alfetta MM
2,111 Posts
My AC controls look just like yours.

Just noticed my Holley choke knob is in the exact same spot as what looks like a gauge backlight dimmer on your car. Even seems to have the same plastic surround.

What model Blaupunkt stereo do you have? I have a modern Alpine head unit, but I'd like to put mine back to original. Are your speakers Pioneer?
I was wondering about your choke knob. I thought it fit awfully well for a owner addition.

Not sure on the Blaupunkt model, not near the car right now.
99% sure the speakers are Pioneer. Can update on both this weekend.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Interesting to note that the top dash vents on your car are different too. Mine are the GTV6 style that can be "closed". Looks like you have control of that via the heater control.

·
Registered
1979 Alfetta MM
2,111 Posts
Interesting to note that the top dash vents on your car are different too. Mine are the GTV6 style that can be "closed". Looks like you have control of that via the heater control.
My vents can be rotated but not closed.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Watching! I have a black 79 MM that I will get to eventually after the spider and gtv6 are done. I’m lucky to have the rear spoiler, an upper spoiler (?) from a Velocissima, and a full set of NOS MM badging never used. ( thanks Jim Tyson! ) Also has the original style Ronal wheels but in 15 x 7
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

41 - 60 of 137 Posts