Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Alfetta GT has been stuck in the garage for the last 3 weeks until I added a starter relay last night which BTW totally addressed the no-start problem that started happening about 5 weeks ago. Finally got to drive it again to work today although the twisty road over the mountains got washed away by Irene. :mad:

Some might not like the GT dash. I always loved it. The tach sitting alone, front and center. Its not a subtle message the car is trying to convey to the driver - this is the only thing that is important.

But why is the tach so small? Why is it shaped that way? With the blue background its rather like the TAG Monaco watch.

But this morning I saw something in the tach that I never noticed before - the driver! What better way to emphasize the melding of man and machine but to superimpose the subtle reflection of the driver in the tach itself. Perfectly framed to isolate the head shot. The driver looking at the tach and (the illusion of) the machine looking back at the driver. If the tach was any bigger, it wouldn't frame the head right. If it was angled differently or if it was surrounded with other gauges or lights the image would be lost/diluted.

Now, my wife would suggest someone else's reflection is in the tach (hint: starts with "N" and ends with "arcissus") :rolleyes:. But let's leave that aside for the moment. Surely this was by design much like the shape of the rear view mirror.

I suppose its one of the things you notice when you are forced to drive on the interstate instead of the usual mountain road.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Lovely image.

I still remember the day I picked up my brand new '76 Alfetta GT. It was dark by the time I started home, 125 miles of Interstate. I was mesmerized by the blue instruments glowing in the dark cabin with all the needles pointing straight up, as they should be when all is in sync.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts