Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , i have a 76 alfetta gt , it had the known rattle at start up , acceleration and shutting off. suspected clutch yoke loose , and so it was , problem is that it was welded by previous owner or mechanic ... so not quite sure what to do ....it was welded and is now cracked around the welds, so what to do ? unweld , try to save threads on splined shaft and find a used yoke ? get a new , Used , flywheel and yoke ? reweld ? old yoke hasside to side play ..... so i would think no weld can hold it in place.
I would appreciate some advice . here is a picture of the yoke . also ... does weld not unbalance assembly? clutch is almost new and wored fine, as are flywheel bearings and throwout bearing .....

·
Registered
505 Posts
Be aware that sometime in late 1976 Alfa changed the yoke, clutch input shaft, and the clutch front housing casting. From your picture, I can see that you have the early yoke. I THINK that you can use the later yoke, input shaft, and casting on your car if you have to (you MIGHT have to shorten the later yoke slightly if it is longer than your early yoke).
The yoke was changed to accommodate the changes to the driveshaft donuts. The input shaft and the casting were changed to provide for a larger input shaft bearing inside the casting.
The clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate were not changed at that time.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mmmmm ok ...yes i had read something obut these changes ...... i would prefer to find the same part if possible..... also because then the donut would be different? and the drive shaft ?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi I m in mexico , baja , but i have san diego address , can receive things over there . Why ? can you help me solve this problem ? Thanks .

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hi I m in mexico , baja , but i have san diego address , can receive things over there . Why ? can you help me solve this problem ? Thanks .
Possibly. I have one from my 1978. The aluminum housing is cracked but everything else is fine.

My only concern is if it fits yours.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Slow creek , how are you ? i believe we have a friend richard in common the old owner of your sedan which i regreted not buying ..hahhaa i have two .... but where there is room for two sport sedans there is room for three ... anyhow i'd like to come visit you one day with one of my alfas ..... back to the yoke .... i believe the 78 wont work from what i understand , hence also the flex discs are different . let me see what evolves ...... thanks .

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
We could always compare dimensions of the yoke where it meets the flex disc to know for sure!!!
Ah, my buddy Richard.....he's a hoot.
He could pick up the yoke when he delivers my paint and wiring diagram.....

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have the yoke and the splined shaft from an early transaxle if you need it, I can send you pics if you would like. I also have the front case if you 100% need it, but I would rather keep it. I would recommend finding the right shaft to go on the flywheel and the yoke, and just cut off the welded one with an angle grinder or something and replace the old cut shaft with the "new" one.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm thinking the only difference will be the "nub" that pilots into the rearmost giubo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts