Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of a newer clutch cover, the tapered kind.
My 76 clutch input shaft has worn it self out. Digging around in my pile of Alfetta parts I have run out of good clutches.
Seems there are none of these clutches available from Centerline or International. Only the newer version.
APE has a 79 that someday they will get under to see what shape it is in.
Is there somebody out there who needs some cash rather than a clutch cover?????
OH PLEASE, don't somebody tell me the covers, with the proper clutch, are not interchangeable with my driveshaft.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I'm in need of a newer clutch cover, the tapered kind.
My 76 clutch input shaft has worn it self out. Digging around in my pile of Alfetta parts I have run out of good clutches.
Seems there are none of these clutches available from Centerline or International. Only the newer version.
APE has a 79 that someday they will get under to see what shape it is in.
Is there somebody out there who needs some cash rather than a clutch cover?????
OH PLEASE, don't somebody tell me the covers, with the proper clutch, are not interchangeable with my driveshaft.
I have several clutch covers, clutches, and slave cyl and brackets from V6's and I'd consider selling you a 'kit.' As far as I know you can easily upgrade your clutch/slave/cover to a V6 unit - just retain your Alfetta yoke.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I pulled the entire gearbox from my 76 Alfetta GT and replaced it with a Milano gearboc. I took the yoke from it already, because I needed it. Not sure if this matters, but car had the 75 drive shaft to spite being an early 76 car. It's currently by the side of my house in the dark. I'll get you a pic (almost definitely tomorrow), and you can tell me if you think it'll work.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Race and Nicky and also NMMilano,
My goal is to upgrade to the newer clutch, thus the newer, taper, clutch cover.
On mixing MIlano and Alfetta clutch, etc: I'm not sure if anything is compatible. The clutch slave moves a different direction.
I have 2 good old style Alfetta covers, that is not my problem. I just don't have a good clutch assembly.
So thanks, I will still search for the clutch cover so I can use a newer clutch. Maybe APE will get to their Alfetta parts car before our Driving School at the end of Feb.
So why aren't old style Alfetta clutches being rebuilt???? A conspiracy against me is what I think. . . . . .
Just for fun, I do have an old Milano clutch and an Alfetta trans with no clutch. Wonder if that clutch will fit on the trans input shaft. Maybe Sunday, We are having our SoCal Awards Banquet Saturday so I have to clean up the Milano in the morning.

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
Contact Richard Jemsion / alfar7 on the bb. I sold him 5 or 6 alfetta transaxles most of them had the clutch assembly's on them. He uses the gears to make his close ratio gear boxes. He might want to sell a clutch cover or the whole clutch and clutch cover assembly. The clutches are probably good as they all came out of wrecked or rust away cars.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Race and Nicky and also NMMilano,
My goal is to upgrade to the newer clutch, thus the newer, taper, clutch cover.
On mixing MIlano and Alfetta clutch, etc: I'm not sure if anything is compatible. The clutch slave moves a different direction.
I have 2 good old style Alfetta covers, that is not my problem. I just don't have a good clutch assembly.
So thanks, I will still search for the clutch cover so I can use a newer clutch. Maybe APE will get to their Alfetta parts car before our Driving School at the end of Feb.
So why aren't old style Alfetta clutches being rebuilt???? A conspiracy against me is what I think. . . . . .
Just for fun, I do have an old Milano clutch and an Alfetta trans with no clutch. Wonder if that clutch will fit on the trans input shaft. Maybe Sunday, We are having our SoCal Awards Banquet Saturday so I have to clean up the Milano in the morning.
What I was trying to tell you is NickDeeNM took out the Alfetta trans. So it might have the cover you need ( not sure how to tell if it's a taper cover or not) or it might have the clutch you need. The clutch was good, we took the trans out because the second gear syncro was gone.

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
Contact Richard Jemsion / alfar7 on the bb. I sold him 5 or 6 alfetta transaxles most of them had the clutch assembly's on them. He uses the gears to make his close ratio gear boxes. He might want to sell a clutch cover or the whole clutch and clutch cover assembly. The clutches are probably good as they all came out of wrecked or rust away cars.
Also meant to say the cars they came out of where parted out between 25 to 30 years ago.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do I have a solution ??

OK, back from the garage and digging thru lots of Alfa parts.
1. Milano clutch cover fits Alfetta GT gear box. I had trouble sliding the Milano clutch onto the gearbox input shaft, did not figure out the problem. Made it till the last 1/2inch.
BUT the clutch slave cyl is a problem. Alfetta - it fastenes thru a hole in the cover. Milano - fits in a mounting hole on the trans case. I think they push in opposite directions. Didn't waht to crawl under the Milano to verify.
The 2 covers look almost identical, except for the missing slave cyl hole. The Alfetta yoke fits the Milano input shaft.
2 Here are some photos of stuff I gleaned from a back garage corner. Looks like I MAY have a taper input shaft, some xtra part someone gave me. And it looks like I MAY have a taper cover after all.
The taper cover fits over the straight clutch too closely so that it rubs on the flywheel to input shaft bolt heads. The 2 covers are almost identical except for a casting mark on the taper cover.

So tomorrow I drive out to pick up the NOS clutch from someone who has been trying to sell it to me for a couple of years.
Oh, Oh. APE said they would try to get to their parts car this weekend for me. If I have found the cover in my parts pile that probably guarantees that APE did find one and expect to sell it to me. . . . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
BUT the clutch slave cyl is a problem. Alfetta - it fastenes thru a hole in the cover. Milano - fits in a mounting hole on the trans case. I think they push in opposite directions. Didn't waht to crawl under the Milano to verify.....[/QUOTE]

The V6 clutches use a pull type clutch. The Alfetta is a push type.

The V6 slave cylinder fits in a bracket w/ 2 circlips. The bracket bolts to the transmission and is removable. It is NOT integral to the case.

As far as I know you CAN use the single disc V6 clutch on the Alfetta trans (are you sure the alignment of disc is correct and that splines are not very dirty??). You would need a cover, clutch, slave, slave bracket, fork, pivot bolt, boot. Also there are a couple of different lengths for the slave cylinder rod.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good update Rod,
The Milano clutch maybe did not have the splines lined up. I did push on an Alfetta clutch afterward and it slid on pretty easy. It was close to lunch time so I ran out of enthusiasm to figure out the problem.
Funny, the Milano clutch set up has been pretty trouble free for me. 250,000 miles, 1 clutch and slave 250,000 miles ago, 1 broken pivot ball 200k ago, replaced slave 1 time, once the pivot ball backed almost out but I got lucky and could screw it back in about 100k ago. Maybe I should replace the pivot ball soon??
The Alfettas, maybe 60,000 miles (10,000 were track miles)/ 2 broken covers (track related); the above mentioned worn out input shaft, sheared the gears from the ring gear (track related), swapped clutches several times because I thought it was vibrating (probably early onset shaft failure). OH, I have never bought a new Alfetta clutch but always mixed and matched stuff people have given me, using the clutch that came with the car. Maybe finaly putting in a new, balanced clutch will give me 250,000 trouble free Alfetta miles.
I'm pushing to get the Alfetta done in a few weeks. We have a cool AROSC drive out to Palm Springs, a 400 mile weekend. Then our HPD School at the end of the month.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing is easy

So I picked up the NOS clutch today.
BUT looking at the cover I am confused as to how the inner (facing to the rear) bearing seats. In the picture you see I found a snap ring and something like a piston ring. There is an inner and an outer groove for some sort of snap ring. My guess is to ignore the inner ring grove, seat the bearing and lock it with the snap ring. It looks like the bearing is about the same width as the hole is deep up to the top groove.
It was tired and I got late, so will tackle this tomorrow evening.
Comments welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, here's the happy ending to this tale.
The new cover has a long spacer between the 2 bearings. Fortunately I had one in my pile of stuff.
The new clutch now has the new housing.
We just bolted everything back together and the car is a lot better. I tested it on the track last weekend and it did just fine.
Added Benefit:
Seems I had been ignoring a loud rattle from the clutch area when the car was at a low idle. Like someone was in there with a hammer.
NOW I have a proper input shaft the bearings are not wobbling around like the old ones were.
Donut Dilema:
Since several of the donuts for this early drive shaft don't exist today I plunged for a '79 driveshaft and yoke. (thanks Larry D for finding one)
The front donut that is in the car had a large crack so it is only a few more thousand miles before it wants to go. I soon will replace my old driveshaft and rear yoke and new donuts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts