Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this one is just conjecture guys and gals. On thinking about all this smog stuff here in CA, and being rather bummed that you can't do a hell of a lot to a later than 1976 car as far as mods go, and that we may have to be doing annual smogs in the future - I relised that there were 76 Alfetta GTs. This is the cut off date for cars required to pass smog in CA, so in regards to vehicle registration what comes in the mail? just the renewal form that says pay us for another year right?

So, couldn't one take a 76 GT and do whatever they want under the hood, because unless an officer of the law asks you to pop the hood, there would never be a way for the state to know what really was under the hood, right? And heck if you kept it pretty believable under the hood like just one turbo even a police officer would think that's the way it should be right?

Of course the rust issue would be a big one, not to mention all the money you'd have to throw at it, but the idea has my wheels spinning.

GV

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
1976 and newer need smog checks

Too bad the GT came out in 76 not 75.
The only way to hot rod a Calif Alfetta is if it is a Sport Sedan that is older than 76.
pb

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
yeah, the cutoff is 75 I beleive.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
The sedans hit our shores first, in '75 (and in 49 states only), followed by the coupe in '76. You could however, import a '75 coupe from Europe (or possibly Canada?). Technically speaking, my '75 isn't legal in CA, but a wonderfully clueless CHP inspection never caught that tidbit and allowed me to import and register it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts