Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a '79 Alfetta GT, USA version, a.k.a. Sprint Veloce. I removed most of the factory air conditioning system right after buying the car several years ago, but am just now getting around to removing the A/C condenser. The car tends to overheat in stop-and-go traffic during the hotter months, so I want to improve airflow through the radiator.

Removed the radiator last night and I'm looking for advice regarding the best way to get the A/C condenser out. Clearly it will fit through the radiator hole in the engine compartment, but it seems the fasteners (the few I could see) holding the condensor to the bodywork are installed facing forward - so I'll have to either reach around the condenser to get to them from inside (seems hard to do), or remove the grille and get to them from the front.

As far as removing the grille, it looks like I would have to drill out some pop rivets and remove the headlights(?) because apparently some of the headlight adjusters also capture the grille.

Recommendations appreciated!

Dave Spiegelthal
Centreville, VA

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Dave,
I removed my condenser after the grille and the lower plastic air intakes were removed. It was easy that way, but I’m doing a resto, so all that needed to come off anyway. Don’t know if you can get to the Condenser front without it. You might be able to remove only the lower intake grills and work it from there. Easier to reinstall than the headlight assembly. Good luck, sir!

·
Push hard and live
9,591 Posts
I could be interested in Alfetta AC parts. I’d like to get it going again.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Don, if I can get the condensor out without cutting it up or mangling the pipe connections, you're welcome to it! I've long ago discarded the other removed A/C components (pretty sure).

For lack of any other advice, I'll try removing the lower grilles only and see if that gets me access to the fasteners that hold the condensor in place, thanks for that tip.

BTW we're also conversing in another thread about your parcel shelf inquiry - I'll take some photos and dimensions of mine and get that to you. Might have to wait for the weekend to do that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Stock Alfetta A/C
Re: putting a stock A/C into an Alfetta... if what you want is to be “full stock”, then ok, and I might have some parts for you also (PM me). However, if what you want is a cold, functioning A/C, then there are other options, and some great threads on this forum. I’m switching my ‘76 GT over to a Vintage Air system, replacing everything including the heater and all the vents. It’s a bit of work if you try to do it with the dash in place, but I’m redoing everything. Good luck if you undertake this... hope I can help with parts!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve, please talk to Don directly or in another thread, mine seems to be getting hijacked. I would still like to hear from anyone who has REMOVED the A/C condensor from a working/running car (not a shell undergoing restoration). Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Point taken, and my apologies. I did look at my front area, and working in the areas where the lower inlet grilles are, you should be able to remove the condenser screws. Here’s a pic looking up at the mounting brackets from the lower opening. Sorry it’s sideways...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No worries, Steve, and thanks for the tip and the photo - will attempt this weekend. Let me know if you'll be wanting the condensor, and I'll let you know if I was able to remove it without destroying it :)

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I remember the condenser going in from the radiator side, but I was doing a complete new AC system so I had everything removed, headlights, grill, etc so that we could put in new AC hoses.. Removing the radiator is no big thing and a it gives you chance to change all your hoses. But, I think you may need to get in from the front to get to the condenser nuts/bolts and to unscrew the AC hoses if they are still there. So you may have to also remove the lower plastic grills.
I say don't worry about the condenser. if yours is OEM it is junk. New, better ones are not so $$$.
Good luck.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Paul. If you re-read my original post you'll see that I've already removed the radiator, and that Steve has recommended going in from the front to get to the condensor fasteners, by removing the lower grilles. So that is the Plan for the Weekend :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Removed the lower grilles, access to the condenser attachment fasteners was easy, finished the job. Thanks to all for the good advice. Have available one undamaged A/C condenser for anyone who might want it, for the cost of shipping only.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts