Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my friend are working on getting my grandpa's Alfetta back on the road after sitting for 10+ years. We already cleaned out the fuel lines and injectors. Would I need to rebuild the SPICA pump or what? And where can I get a rebuild kit for it? We already drained the gas tank and cleaned it out, changed the oil and coolant, cleaned the radiator and obviously a new battery. What else would we need to do to get the engine running again?

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Sounds like you've done the right stuff so far. Is the fuel low pressure light working normally . . . i.e. when you first turn the key on, the light comes on and then goes off after a second or two? If so, you're good. More stuff I'd recommend:

1. Make sure the injection pump is timed correctly.
2. Remove the Barometric Compensator (do NOT move the throttle while it's off the pump). See guides referenced below. Use a syringe and tube to suck the oil out of the logic section. See if it smells like stale gasoline. If so, the injection pump almost certainly needs overhaul. Replace the oil with fresh engine oil. There's an overflow so any excess will drain back into the engine sump.

I would run some fuel through the injection pump and into a catch can to clean out the injection pump galleries as well as possible. Make sure the ignition timing and spark are good.

Before the initial startup, loosen the fuel pipe nuts at the injectors themselves and crank the engine to prime the pipes. That will save some cranking during the initial startup. Some starting fluid may help during the initial start.

If you haven't done so already, download the guides at this link and read them. If you'd like more Spica tech material, repair/tuning manuals, etc. drop me a PM with an email address.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/carburetors-fuel-injection-air-intake/335530-spica-technical-guides.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts