Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
It's a good car but you can't really determine that prices are on the rise because one person is selling it for more than it's worth. I would imagine these cars to appreciate just like any other Alfa Romeo built after 1974. Slowly. It does have many good qualities; two-doors, a beautiful engine, pedigree, etc. Plus, as Alfettas become more of a rarity on the road their value is very likely to increase. But I doubt these cars will demand a great deal more than what people are already buying them for in the near future. Still very nice vehicles though.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Alfetta GTs are sleepers. No one knows what they are. Most of them are gone or half-ruined. However, when someone sees one, they immediately want to know, "What it that?!" They are better looking than the 6s and lighter which makes them, in some ways, more fun to drive. Considering the rarity of one in the kind of condition that this one appears to be in, the price is not out of the question, although the seller is sure to have a long wait before finding his audience. Especially tough in this case since the car has been significantly modified, although the mods look like ones that a reasonable person would do to keep her going as a good driver.

Regards,

·
Registered
750 Posts
In my humble opinion this guy is dreaming! And what a bunch of crap, "Original, not restored!" Yeah right, original with a bunch of gtv6 body parts thrown on, an LSD and sunbleached gtv6 seats :eek: The carpets are shot! Come on for $9550 I expect new carpet and seats. Wheels add no extra dollars of value to any car less they be 3-piece or rare. Oh, and excuse me but for 10K I would expect it to be either restored OR original with very few miles and not butchered with gtv6 gear. :eek:

GV

·
Registered
992 Posts
I'd have to agree...dude is dreaming. I love the selling points such as:

"DOT 5 brake fluid
...and fresh fluid"

Good God, I hope so. Yeesh.

Seems like the seller doesn't know Alfas and thinks that it's worth what he is asking. I'm sure it's a fun car to drive but almost $10k is out of the question in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I agree with you guys to this extent: the seller's concept of the value of his car is highly distorted. Doesn't mean that the car is not valuable though. The stuff you are complaining about, i.e. GTV6 bits, are easily removed.

Here’s my reasoning: Alfettas in any sort of drivable condition are rare. For someone who really wanted an Alfetta, as opposed to the steady supply of good or better GTV6s on the market, this seems like a very strong candidate. Assuming, of course that the implied lack of rust is genuine. That, you see, is the crux of the Alfetta biscuit. Rusty: readily available. Not rusty: extremely rare. This car appears to be a rust-free Alfetta GT. I contend that fact makes it worth a very large amount of money to the right individual, unoriginal parts notwithstanding.

But maybe I am all wet. Would you guys care to share your source for extremely cheap, high quality, rust repair. I have some Sport Sedans that need the treatment. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
Randy, while I understand your argument on the rarity of this vehicle (rust free = rare), rarity does not equal value. Cars in this condition are rare because not many people cared enough to restore them, a result of them being unvaluble. One dude asking too much for his car isnt going to raise the value of an unappreciated car.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I know what you're saying, let's face it body and paint are proabably the most expensive items to fix on a car - rust isn't cheap to fix nor is just painting a car (first hand experience there!) I was talking to someone that owns a body shop the other day who said, "Hey, everything costs $10K these days". But, that car needs the original gear on it to go after top dollar ... and a fixed up interior.

I know more and more GTs are turning into dirt, and I love the looks of 'em as much as anyone, but I still wonder if the prices will ever go beyond the gtv6 (even if there are less GTs) just because the 6 is a 6. I know it isn't always the case but typically if a few different models of a car are made the one that put out the most HP is the one that ends up being the one everyone wants and thus the one worth the most money.

GV

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
There's a beige Alfetta GT for sale in Berkeley right now with a sign for $6995 on it. It's nice, but not that nice.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
There's a beige Alfetta GT for sale in Berkeley right now with a sign for $6995 on it. It's nice, but not that nice.

Andrew
Hi Andrew! Where is it?

·
Registered
352 Posts
$10k alfetta

And it has black rockers --- hmmmmm I wonder why?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
The Berkeley car is on Euclid, about 1/4 of the way up the hill on the right. I saw it parked on the east side of the street at a hairpin.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Thanks Andrew!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
mucho dinero Alfetta

It's a good car but you can't really determine that prices are on the rise because one person is selling it for more than it's worth. I would imagine these cars to appreciate just like any other Alfa Romeo built after 1974. Slowly. It does have many good qualities; two-doors, a beautiful engine, pedigree, etc. Plus, as Alfettas become more of a rarity on the road their value is very likely to increase. But I doubt these cars will demand a great deal more than what people are already buying them for in the near future. Still very nice vehicles though.
My thread is not based so much on determination but more of an observation. As an Alfetta GT owner I'm always happy to see any chance of these cars bringing a little more dollars as they are sooooooooooo undervalued. Mine is a (RUST FREE 99%) 1977 under 40k miles 1 owner car with blue CA plates and AC. I recently dropped $2900 bucks in an almost complete motor rebuild and misc stuff, with what I'm in the car and market values today, its a real sad story, but just like most Alfa enthusiasts I enjoy my car and look ahead to better Alfetta days. These cars drive like no other and are extremely reliable. I hope this seller gets his asking ....... at least its a good sign for us (Alfetta GT people) Ciao.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Totally understand that one! Any pics of your Alfetta up on the bb? I've never owned an Alfa for "what it would be worth if sold someday" I've owned it and put up with it because of it's great/fun characteristics. Really, in the world of cars $10K is nothing! And then, what would you buy for that much money that would pack the same kind of performance and eye-candy into the same package?

GV

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
looks like my first alfa. when i first saw it i didn't know what it was[ i was a corvette guy]. i haven't had a corvette since. thanks for the pics. george

·
Registered
750 Posts
Good looking Alfetta - it looks pretty complete ...sigh...love the look, with fresh paint it would turn heads anywhere.
...although it looks like it has a decent shine to it - is the color original?
GV

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Wow! They are such nice cars - but it is so rare to see one in good conditon. Let me know if you ever want to sell. The one thing it needs are the correct bumpers. Not that I blame them, but Alfa really started thumbing their noses at our moronic bumper regulations with some pretty hideous creations.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts