Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My Alfetta GTV has a nasty rattle within the clutch assembly.

Initially I thought it was an issue with the drive shaft. I could hear a rattle coming from the rear of the drive shaft and it would go away when I put the clutch in.

Having a hunt around on the bulletin board I found the following thread: GTV rattle at idle.

Taking the advice on there I jacked the car up, left it in gear with the handbrake off and tried turning a rear wheel while listening to the clutch assembly. I could hear the same rattle.

I see that the verdict is the clutch disc hub assembly is worn or defective. Can some please clarify for me if this that this is the entire clutch assembly i.e. the pressure plate plus friction plate have failed. Or is it the release bearing or one of the other bearings that have failed? Or is it simply something has come loose.

I did have the entire clutch assembly replaced around 3 years ago and i would doubt it has done more than 15,000 km in that time.

Any help or words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Sam

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I probably should have done a little more research prior to posting, sorry.

So just to confirm it is more than likely the springs in the clutch disc have failed i.e. the solution is to put in a new friction plate.

The central driveshaft donut has been replaced within the last week and everything was tightened back up to specification regarding the rest of the driveshaft and the same rattle existed before and after this was done. This would leave me doubtful that it is the Spider yoke is loose.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have the same rattle in neutral at idle. It's not the driveshaft or the clutch. It's something in the transaxle, but I don't know what.

·
Premium Member
15,842 Posts
Our 89 Milano we had bought new had this noise from the very beginning. Now at 100k miles, it doesn't seem to do it anymore.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just to clarify this isn't a neutral roll over noise or something minor.

I know the transaxle setup is temperamental and some of the funny noises and knocks are just part and parcel of the setup.

The noise I am experiencing is this clickity clack kind of sound like something is really knocking about from the transaxle. Specifically from the front of the housing by the clutch.

From what i can gather it is, more thank likely, the springs in the clutch friction plate that have failed. But how this actually occurs and why it causes the awful noise I am not totally certain. Especially considering it's a relatively new clutch.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The only way to find the cause of the noise is to open the clutch housing and inspect the different components for unusual wear or brakeage. I had an Alfetta sedan that developed a clickity clack sound in the clutch area after a hillclimb event, it turned out to be one of the bearings in the neck of the clutch housing had failed

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Without a doubt. I will jack it up shortly and take it apart. Just being at the bottom of the world means that when i do find out whats wrong with it and then order parts it will be a 2 week turn around at minimum in order to get it back together, currently i'm not even certain how easy it will be to get parts shipped.

·
Registered
545 Posts
At this point in time our island isolation be it Aussie or Kiwi can only be benificial the car can wait.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Couldn't agree more. Best move is to probably throw a tarp over it and come back to it once things have returned to a more normal state, whenever that may be. Cars are just things and things can always be replaced.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My then new 1985 GTV-6 had a slight rattle in neutral with the clutch out that went away when the clutch was in. It was like that pretty much from the start. Mine was just the throw-out bearing rattling on the shaft. Nothing wrong with it, it was just a characteristic. When the clutch was engaged the clutch fork put pressure on the bearing so it was no longer free to rattle. The OP's noise sounds more serious...

·
Registered
149 Posts
My then new 1985 GTV-6 had a slight rattle in neutral with the clutch out that went away when the clutch was in. It was like that pretty much from the start. Mine was just the throw-out bearing rattling on the shaft. Nothing wrong with it, it was just a characteristic. When the clutch was engaged the clutch fork put pressure on the bearing so it was no longer free to rattle. The OP's noise sounds more serious...
My experience agrees with Sportiva and, I think, Alfa again. For me, the rattle was there with the clutch pedal up. When the clutch was depressed this loaded the bearings on the clutch input and the rattle went away. It was easy and cheap to replace the failed bearing. No need to remove transmission, just tilt the nose down after disconnecting guibo/giubo and then can take off clutch input housing.
good luck
Larry

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will order a full set of bearings just to cover my bases. Hopefully I will get to it in the next month. I will have to remove the entire drive-shaft in order to remove the clutch input housing correct?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hi Sam
You don't need to remove the driveshaft , undo the rear donut then lower and remove the crossmember to get access to the clutch housing this is a basic discription obviously, if you need more information on how to remove the clutch housing just ask.

Cheers Glen

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,475 Posts
If the rattle only happens at idle when warm, it is very likely neutral rollover rattle.

This is in the transmission, not the clutch. It can't be easily fixed but isn't actually any sort of a problem. My old Milano had this pretty bad and it's not uncommon on the transaxle cars.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I had a rattle in my '83 GTV6. I was told to tighten the driveshaft pinch bolt which solved the problem.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Sam your gtv4 does not have a pinch bolt, If you had a GTV6 I agree it's a good place to start tracking driveshaft noise.

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
Alfetta's originally came with a weird looking one time use nut to hold the clutch assembly together. Even if you reuse it using lock tite it will come loose letting the yoke rattle back and forth on the clutch shaft. Which also lets the clutch assembly move back and forth some.

Alfa's update was using the 2 thin nuts that they started using on the GTV-6.

·
Administrator
12,521 Posts
SamGTV,
Can't help re clutch rattle, but please do not put a tarp over your Alfa ... unless you are planning to repaint the car and/or want to learn how to cut out and repair rust.

Tarps move and ruin paint, and also in our wet country create a greenhouse and accelerate rust. I believe my GTV suffered from 4 years under a tarp before I bought it. There are expensive covers made specifically for cars. I got one for my father's Jensen but where I failed was that they don't last long and I should have replaced it annually ... sorry Dad.

I recommend buying some old fashioned car polish and giving her a really good polish, and then park her on concrete.
Pete

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hi Sam
PSK has sound advice re tarps. I think when you said " probably throw a tarp over it" it might have been a metaphore to lay low and let the 100 year pendemic go through it's course.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts