Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of the first things I did when I brought home my 78 Sprint Veloce project was to remove and discard the ugly, heavy, horribly rusted bumpers, revealing the true beauty of the body. Trying to decide what to replace them with, if at all. I like the look without them, but the rear needs something to hide the seams. Noticed this on eBay, and disregarding the yellow snake decal, really liked the conformal rear bumper work.
http://cgi.ebay.de/Alfa-Romeo-GTV-Alfetta-Coupe-Rennwagen-no-Bertone_W0QQitemZ190140453602QQihZ009QQcategoryZ29750QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is this a glassed-in euro bumper or a custom fabrication?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
That was made to hide the sheet metal seams under the bumper. I'm pretty sure that it's a one off. Unless someone out there makes that part after market. It does look good though.

Paul

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
If you look closely, the upper part is the the Alfetta 'shelf' that hides the behind the old bumper. So what he actually did was put a strip of rubber molding on and cut it to fit. A good idea and looks great.

I'm posting the picture here because ebay pages don't last very long. (my pet peeve about posting a link to ebay - the thread becomes worthless after a few days)

I've heard Fiat X1/9 bumpers fit Alfettas, but I've never seen anyone do it yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
I like the rear bumper, but I think it needs to curve around the rear quarters more in case your hit at an angle.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
In my entirely unhumble opinion the stainless bumpers are pure decoration. Assuming one has the large rubber baby bumper, in decent shape, it is good for 'maybe' a five mile an hour tap. True, it's now distorted, but between it and the silicone filled bumper shocks the rest of the car 'should' be fine. Much more than a five mph the supports for the bumper shocks will distort and in turn carry the impact deeper into the 'framework'.

From a (your) bodily injury aspect, If involved in a major accident, I'd much prefer to have the butt ugly rubber bumpers in place since in theory they will spread the impact. Kiss the car away, but you might well walk away from the accident.

I'm not planning on installing bumpers on my 'other' Alfetta GT, but boy is that rear sheet metal 'busy' with all of the in's and out's + the seam. Also, the US cars have the square bumper supports sticking out.

Where's a great automotive designer when you need one? And I certainly don't mean Chris Bangle. He'd add even more unnecessary 'design' elements.

Biba

Just checked to see if I had Bangles name right and there are 'Stop Chris Bangle' petitions amongst BMW folk. (Stop him before he kills again?).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts