Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to replace the clutch on my '79 GTV 2.0.
The manual says a balanced flywheel/pressure plate/friction plate assembly should be fitted, or if a new pressure plate and friction plate are fitted to the existing flywheel the whole assembly should be rebalanced.
However several alfa mechanics and enthusiasts told me they have fitted new clutches to their flywheels, matched up the 'dimples' stamped into the pressure plate and flywheel, and everything was ok.
Who is right? I'd hate to get everything back together then have to strip it down again to cure a vibration. So will I need to take my assembly to an engineering shop to get it balanced?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Clutch replacement

If you are only replacing the friction disc , no balancing required, but make sure to index the PP to the flywheel before removing.

If you are replacing the PP I would advise having the assembly checked and rebalanced as necessary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GTVBob

Thanks for the info.
I think wear to the fp is the issue with my clutch (drive takes up near the top of pedal travel) so I'll probably replace this and the release bearing (unless I find damage or scoring to the pp when I strip the clutch assembly down).
Not looking forward to removing the rear gear selector lever from its splines. It's been on there for nearly 36 years, I would assume. Any tips for its removal?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts