Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Curious if anyone is currently or in the past raced a Alfetta "Berlina" (4-door sedan)?

I know that back in 1973 Alfa Romeo/Autodelta raced them.

Look forward to discussing them.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I recall seeing Erika and David Herting bring the blue Alfetta sport sedan. I assume that is what you are referring to with "berlina".
Jes

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I would think you can make it competitive. I'm not sure if there are any wear items that are difficult to locate - perhaps worth checking.
Jes

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
That's not an Alfetta DORK! Oops sorry:eek:

That was a sweet ride. I would think that a Fetta would be too fragile in the driveline to make a reliable racer. If you could change over to v6 stuff thyat would make it a little better. I'll be interested to follow this thread.

Paul

See you in a leetle while. I'm bringing the S

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I would think that a Fetta would be too fragile in the driveline to make a reliable racer.
I think it would be ok. The 76 orange Alfetta GT running with AROSC is doing fine - no driveline problems as far as I know (and it always runs both TT and race).
Jes

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yes, thank you. That is the car we are talking about. Early model "Alfetta "Berlina" sedan.
Fetta78, would you mind removing the pictures of the Super Berlina that you posted:) Not the car we are discussing here.

Thanks!

Here's a pic of what I believe is the same car.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Alfetta's and Giuliettas have been raced very very extensively here in Holland. Albeit with 75 underpinnings, and often with TS powerplants. Everything is interchangeable, so no fragility there. And plenty of axle ratios to choose from from the entire family, like a 75 1.6 gearbox, with a 75 TS diff mated to it in an Alfetta. Or a Giulietta 1.3 engine (different bore/stroke to normal 1300) with a 75 Turbo turbo, on an Alfetta GTV. Mix n match....

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I told you crack head!!!:D

RML Automotive in Daytona used to race a coupe. It has all the same underpinnings as the sedan.

This is a bit he wrote about strengthening the driveline he sent me in an e-mail.

If I remember correctly the key was to lighten up the flywheels equally i.e. 20% off the front 20% off the rear. I use milano stuff, alluminum clutch cover I think my shaft was actually a hy-brid using a late front the more sturdy one and then an early rear. I had vibrations but at song 7,000 R's, it was silk. I used to rebuild it twice a year and if for some reason it had to come out for another reason it was always "piled to one side from the H.P. and torque...... All my notes went with the car, so I'm going on memory.

The big difference in our set up was the final gear ratio.........We ran a 4:30 from a (euro) late giulietta. This is what made the most significent improvement in lap times. I think the change gears are the same with an 0.83 fifth gear. I almost killed myself developing the drive-shaft on our race car. I had one come apart at 6800 and really could have killed me. sending shrapnal like you shot a 12 gage. There is a lot of room for shaft development like CV type joints and small diameter shafts like a ferrari 275 etc........

Also I ran a gear oil cooler simple TILTON set up using the the drain-plug for the suction and the fill plug for the return while pushing it through a cooler mounted in the ****pit behind the rear seat. I think it held about 2 more qts of AMSIOL series 2000 75-140w no filter............it worked great. We figured the braking added so much heat with the in-board brakes it used to get way too hot, not to mention a ton of power through that unit..... probably 150 + -.H.P. Never had a failure with that set up. Thats what I remember about that!!!!! Oh and everything was mono-ball mounted in alluminum bushings at the tub and the forward mount as well, the left and right ones I drilled and put a 6x1.0 bolt through the thing and it made it durable....

Paul

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
I told you crack head!!!:D

RML Automotive in Daytona used to race a coupe. It has all the same underpinnings as the sedan.

Paul
Doesn't the coupe have a slightly shorter driveline (because of the shorter wheelbase)? They have the same engine/trans layout etc., but I'm always surprised at how many things turn up to be "sedan specific" with these cars. Seems like everything is a few mm's off from the coupe (remember the rear exhaust?). :eek:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recall seeing Erika and David Herting bring the blue Alfetta sport sedan. I assume that is what you are referring to with "berlina".
Jes
I'm the previous owner of the Alfetta sedan that Erica races. A long time ago, David told me he poured quite a bit of money into a new engine for the car. As far as changing the differential, I'm not sure - I think he left it stock. I remember him saying that he couldn't take enough weight out of the car to make it competitive tho. The last time we spoke he mentioned that he'd like to replace the windows with lexan. I'd love to own that car again!

The RML suggestions are good - especially the oil cooler.

Gary

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Few more pics of Alfetta Sedan race cars. The green one in the rain has always been a personal favorite of mine...:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Nice pix.

The 116 in the rain is nice. Does the third one belong to Mats (BigSwede)? He's had some nice cars.
I'm not sure who's cars they are, they're from my vast collection of pics off the web. :eek:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts