Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a big deal but I asked the guys (and gals) on the Alfa Digest about an air duct for the later four bolt (as opposed to the three bolt) Bosch alternator air ducts. I was told they existed but had never seen one until David Hall mentioned one being available on eBay - brand new.

Needless to say I won the auction. Almost looks like it belongs on it doesn't it?

If anyone has a spare plastic cover for the alternator hot lead from the starter (it's peaking out from behind the water bottle), I'd sure like to buy it.

Biba

Attachments

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
What year on the Alfetta GT did these Alt. ducts start showing up on cars?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never figured out how to do arrows but I'm talking about the cover (which I've never seen) for the rather vurnable hot connection within the 'circle'. This is what I'm looking for.

Biba

Attachments

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rosso, my Alfetta GT is a '75 which came with factory A/C which incorporated a butt ugly (US) York compressor. The bracket assembly for the A/C compressor and alternator is from a '78 Alfetta GT. When I bought this rebuilt alternator it was listed as being for a 3.0 liter (Milano) Alfa. The plastic air duct was listed on eBay as being for a GTV6 and might have been, but I suspect it was for either a 164 or 3.0 Milano. The plastic hose was the original one that came with my car.

Osso, my hose is in pretty good shape, but if your's is for sale, give me a price. Since I've bought from you before, perhaps there is something else for either a '69 Spider or for an Alfetta (GT) you might have that I could use and we could combine shipping/eliminate hassle.

Biba

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,456 Posts
....Osso, my hose is in pretty good shape, but if your's is for sale, give me a price. Since I've bought from you before, perhaps there is something else for either a '69 Spider or for an Alfetta (GT) you might have that I could use and we could combine shipping/eliminate hassle.

Biba
I am sorry if I mislead you. I was just being a bit of a show-off. :eek: I am sorry, but these spares aren't for sale. I keep a supply of this kind of stuff to reduce the time my car is off the road.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
What year on the Alfetta GT did these Alt. ducts start showing up on cars?
1975. Actually, all US version Alfettas were fitted with this hose. It carries part number 116.10.05.167.00.

Biba,
I trust that the rest of your Alfetta looks as stunning as that corner of the engine bay?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Osso, most alternators have exhaust fans on the front with the pulley. They draw air through from rear inlets, and obviously on a 4C Alfa, that's straight off the exhaust headers. Worst possible "cooling" air source.
We all know they go a long time like that, depending on driving conditions, but the heat disperses the lubricants inside the alternator, that oil film holds dirt, the built-up crud retards cooling, resistance builds up which generates more heat, and finally the alternator fails. The life difference between an alternator vented from atmosphere and one pulling air off the exhaust manifold surface might be inconsequential in a cool climate, but in a hot climate, it can be a great deal.
Some new alternators such as the DelcoRemy 24SI have fans in the center, drawing air from both ends of the alternator, and some have cooling exhaust fans on the rear, but I've never seen that on a car.

YHS,

Joe C.
Sono lento, ma sono brutto
Servici Vari Crash Test Dummy and big truck writer about alternators.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts