Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spider 1978-up AIR pump injection manifold-RUST FREE

RUST FREE AIR injection manifold for a 1978 1979 1980 1981 Spider. Could possibly fit 1975 1976 1977 California emissions catalyst Spider.

I bought this new from the Alfa dealer in Seattle about 20 years ago. It cost me about $260 then. I only used it for about a year or so before I ditched the air pump which is no longer required in Washington.

The inlet tube is in a different location than that of the 1975 1976 1977 Spider. It will NOT fit a 49-state '75-'77 non-catalyst Spider with a stock manifold.

These rust at the fitting ends and eventually break off. Finding one in usable condition is nearly impossible which is why I had to buy a new one. There is no rust or pitting at the fitting ends. It's not bent in any way either; it flexes at the accordion joints.

Please compare the picture to yours if you have one.

Asking $100 or best offer.

I might have the rest of the AIR pump setup if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
22,973 Posts
I believe that's for a Spider. The Alfetta setup curves around to the other side of the engine, because its air pump is next to the Spica pump, not on the exhaust side like on a Spider. This looks just like the air rail on the 79 Spider I got running a couple weeks ago.
Andrew

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I believe that's for a Spider. The Alfetta setup curves around to the other side of the engine, because its air pump is next to the Spica pump, not on the exhaust side like on a Spider. This looks just like the air rail on the 79 Spider I got running a couple weeks ago.
Andrew

Are you sure? Is the '75-'77 Spider exhaust manifold different from the '78-'81 models?

When I bought the Shankle header they sent along a hokey conversion kit for the stock air pump manifold because they didn't fit the Spider with the header without alteration. My mechanic at the time tried to alter the part with this kit and gave up.

On the '77 Spider the fittings go into the exhaust manifold horizontally and the inlet tube curves up to meet the pump on the left side.

On this one the tube curves down. On the Shankle header the fittings go in at a 45 degree angle with the inlet tube horizontal.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK after looking at some pictures on line I believe this is a '78-up Spider part which does indeed have a different exhaust manifold. It may fit the catalyst equipped '75-'77 California Spiders too but I'm not sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts