Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to recommission the A/C in my '79 Alfetta GT. I know sort of what the installation looks like, but it's been decades since I owned an Alfa of this era with A/C.

Can anybody post photos of the compressor bracket? Does it have an idler attached? Were there steel and aluminum versions? And finally, does anybody have a spare one for sale? Oh, if only the Alfarm were still around!

I have the original bolt-on drive pulley, and Vintage Air sells an adapter to fit the Sanden SD508 to this bracket, so those parts aren't difficult.

Any and all help appreciated.
Bob in Nashville

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Here is a bit that I know. There were two systems for Alfetta. A high mount compressor and a low mount. Supposedly the low mount is preferred. I have the high mount on mine.
Pictures (not the best):
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Gas Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part Automotive design

·
Registered
521 Posts
Here are a few photos of the factory mount:
So yes, it has an idler pully attached. The lower mount is also used for the alternator. And as a side note, on the lower mount, I used a pair of rear upper sway bar bushings from a Milano to replace the bushings that had disappeared over the years on my car.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Motor vehicle Gas Automotive tire Auto part Machine
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper Fender

·
2,515 Posts
Here's a few pictures of the later style AC bracket.
These required an extended #1 exhaust stud in the head.

* These are hard to find.
The one I had came from a rotted out '78 coupe parts car I had behind my house.
Automotive tire Auto part Machine Motor vehicle Nut

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Plumbing valve Valve

Automotive tire Gas Rim Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design

·
Premium Member
7,525 Posts
Here's a few pictures of the later style AC bracket.
These required an extended #1 exhaust stud in the head.

* These are hard to find.
The one I had came from a rotted out '78 coupe parts car I had behind my house.
View attachment 1749296

View attachment 1749297

View attachment 1749298

View attachment 1749299
Pretty sure thats the aftermarket bracket that came in a kit. I've seen them on every model Alfa. 105 series, etc.

The Alfetta parts books only show the bracket that goes across the head. Those are the only ones I saw on factory A/C cars.

Reactions: 1978alfa

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I found the main bracket with idler. I also bought an adapter for the Sanden 508 compressor that mounts to the old York pattern.

I'll have to gin up something for the downward mount, but that doesn't look too difficult. Does anybody have a spare alternator mounting bolt with the rear stud that this mount attaches to? I smartly trimmed that off when I was reassembling that side of the engine, thinking it would never be needed! In fairness, the previous owner had cut off the two big studs at the front of the engine, so I just followed his precedent. At least replacements for those were easy to locate. Please PM me if you have an alternator bolt you will part with.

Bob

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Bob, I have a long socket head capscrew alternator pivot bolt for the GTV 6, don't know if that will help you though. I got the SHCS so the smaller rounded head would clear the front crossmember, and you can remove it without raising the motor slightly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bob, I have a long socket head capscrew alternator pivot bolt for the GTV 6, don't know if that will help you though. I got the SHCS so the smaller rounded head would clear the front crossmember, and you can remove it without raising the motor slightly.
Dave, that sounds like a similar concept that I can likely make work. Can you send me a picture?

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Here's the OEM hex head bolt on the right, and the socket head capscrew on the left, Bob. You're welcome to either of them if you need it. I use a nylok nut on the SHCS to allow the pivot bolt to remain just loose enough so I don't have to slacken it to adjust the belt tension. The alternator grounds via the clamp bolt/nut at the top, anyway.

Tool Temperature Wood Cylinder Gas

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, Dave, but that won't help me. The bolt I need actually has a threaded stud on the head end. That stud mates with a rubber-bushed mount for the lower compressor support. The one I need would have been standard in probably any 115 or 116 chassis with factory air.

Hey, a funny thing happened yesterday. We got our Stelvio a month ago, and we've seen exactly one on the road since then. Yesterday, we pulled into the parking garage at the downtown library, a structure that probably has 1500 parking spaces, and found it pretty full. We had searched a little ways when I spotted backup lights coming on. Lo and behold, it was another Stelvio leaving! He spotted us, too, and gave a thumbs up. I'm happy to see that new Alfa owners are responding to other Alfas like we old-timers have done for years.

Bob

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Thanks, Dave, but that won't help me. The bolt I need actually has a threaded stud on the head end. That stud mates with a rubber-bushed mount for the lower compressor support. The one I need would have been standard in probably any 115 or 116 chassis with factory air.

Hey, a funny thing happened yesterday. We got our Stelvio a month ago, and we've seen exactly one on the road since then. Yesterday, we pulled into the parking garage at the downtown library, a structure that probably has 1500 parking spaces, and found it pretty full. We had searched a little ways when I spotted backup lights coming on. Lo and behold, it was another Stelvio leaving! He spotted us, too, and gave a thumbs up. I'm happy to see that new Alfa owners are responding to other Alfas like we old-timers have done for years.

Bob
It's a sign Bob, it's a sign! 😳😳
Yeah, I find the same thing here. The only new Alfa owners that don't return a wave or flash their lights at me are the ones that clearly didn't see me in urban traffic. Not like driving a bimmer or Audi at all...
I understand now what you need, and it's a proprietary part. Given the resources on the BB here, you'll come up with it. Take care my friend.

Reactions: mcneon

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all who posted pix and added content to this thread. I located the upper part of a high-mount bracket but wasn't real happy with that.

I was able to buy one of the later-style mounts and got it installed successfully. The bracket is lighter, and combined with the change to a Sanden compressor, the whole assembly probably saves 10-15 pounds over the original. It's also much more aesthetically pleasing to me, as it tucks in right next to the engine. This version lowers the compressor close to a foot compared to the high-mount style. Lower CG is always better.

Now, on to the remaining parts - condenser, receiver/dryer, fan, hoses. Should be pretty straightforward from this point; Vintage Air probably has whatever I need. I may have A/C by spring at this rate!

The high-mount bracket parts I have are for sale if anybody needs them. This includes the large head mounting studs and hardware and the OE accessory drive pulley that bolts onto the crank pulley. PM me if interested.

Bob in Nashville
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

·
2,515 Posts
If I remember correctly, the dryer I used was identical to a mid 70s Chrysler dryer. Sorry, it's been 15 years or more so I don't know the part number. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Bob that's a VERY sanitary looking installation! I agree it's much superior to the front mounting plate.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bob that's a VERY sanitary looking installation! I agree it's much superior to the front mounting plate.
Dave, this one is very solid and should do the job quite well. The question of whether this was actually factory, though, is still very much a question in my mind. More likely, I think, a POE-installed, USA-sourced part.

On the possibly factory side, the low mount has the same gorilla weld quality that the high-mount bracket has - solid but crude as can be. (I'm assuming the high-mount brackets were factory, but I don't know that.) On the possibly aftermarket side, the mount has the brand name "Mapco" stamped on it; all of the hardware (which I'm quite sure was original) was SAE; and, this mount uses the water pump belt tensioner arm stud and a longer exhaust manifold stud as bracing points. Every mounting hole is oversize, as in 7/16"" for a 3/8" fastener, not the kind of thing you normally see in Alfa factory fitments. Also, the compressor mounting bolts are 3/8", while the compressor is designed to mount using 10mm bolts. It all works, but it kinda has a lot of J. C. Whitney add-on qualities to it. Just my observations.

·
Premium Member
7,525 Posts
Be careful and make sure the mount bolts stay tight. That style likes to slightly loosen the bolts over time and vibrate. You don’t ever really hear it it. But the bracket will completely wear thru the stud on the water pump.

Reactions: alfaloco
1 - 20 of 26 Posts