Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i just bought an Alfetta i thought it was a 2.0 .. turns out it's a 2000 .. i dunno the difference except it has square lights.. i've been surfing the net and these boards for about 45 minutes looking for a picture or a discussion of the same model i have yet to find out. Is it rare? or unspoken of for a reason?

Thanks, i hope to get pics soon

·
Registered
403 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes! exactly... i dunno if i should be happy or bummed, i guess mine isn't rare then.. but it means others have them so they cant be that bad

·
Registered
403 Posts
be happy

Yes! exactly... i dunno if i should be happy or bummed, i guess mine isn't rare then.. but it means others have them so they cant be that bad
In this day and age, they are all rare. Enjoy her, I look forward to seeing some pic's :D.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
I may be wrong here - but I belive 2.0 and 2000 mean the same thing...:confused: i.e. 2.0 liters is equal to 2000cc displacement.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
You bettcha it's rare - most rusted out years ago.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I may be wrong here - but I belive 2.0 and 2000 mean the same thing...:confused: i.e. 2.0 liters is equal to 2000cc displacement.
I am no Alfetta expert per se, and would have to dig into some books, but I think the 1.6 had round single headlights, the 1.8 had round double headlights, and the 2000 (or 2.0) was introduced later (I think around '77)with square headlights, and larger tail lights ....again, i may be a little off, and, this was what it was like in the Euro market, if I rembember correctly..ymmv here stateside

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
I am no Alfetta expert per se, and would have to dig into some books, but I think the 1.6 had round single headlights, the 1.8 had round double headlights, and the 2000 (or 2.0) was introduced later (I think around '77)with square headlights, and larger tail lights ....again, i may be a little off, and, this was what it was like in the Euro market, if I rembember correctly..ymmv here stateside
You are correct regarding the different lights/models - In the UK the 2000 developed square lights in late '77, some other European markets retained double rounds (as did the US market throughtout the model's run).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Alfetta's: 2 series. Accordingly series one and two.
First series welded front fenders. chrome bumpers. 1600 single headlights, 1800 double. There were, as usual of course, 1600 with double headlights.
Trim levels etc... In 78 reworked, plastic added, 2000 intoduced. From around '80 renamed 2.0. Square headlights, screwed front fenders etc.
Available in 1600, 1800 and 2000 cc versions. From around 82 luxury versions as Alfetta QO and QV, QO having carbs, QV having motronic.
Even more plastic added. These had Alfa Control which is always busted. Really cool space age headlining lighting etc. A late QV is a wonderful car, really. However due to the plastic and the rust behind it, most are junked.
Thousands and thousands of Alfetta's were made, not rare at all here in europe. They keep showing up. However, a nice first series is far more valuable AND easier to find than a second series like yours. They are worth next to nothing which really is a shame. A friend just bought a really great blue QO for less than a grand, Euro's. No rust ever, computer even works!
Take care of it, slam it and add 17 inch AZEV, or 15 inch Ronal telephone dials. Cool!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
where you from actually? So's I can know if it should be rare in your country? Is yours carbed or injected?
I even know of a USA QO, which here means carbs, with Spica instead of Motronic. Whereas a QV never has carbs.
There are cars out there with automatics, airco and stuff like that. You can just plonk in a 75TS engine by the way. Or a power steering box. 75 is , save for sheetmetal, the same car basically.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Here in the U.S. all were 2.0 litres with Spica injection from '75 - '79, both series 1 and 2. Europe received many different variations and engines (even diesel), but naturally, we never saw any of them. Air/con, Automatic trans, sunroofs etc were all options on series 2 cars mostly (though my '76 series 1 had dealer a installed A/C unit). Here in the U.S. there seems to be very few series 1 still on the road, and a good number more of the series 2, but both are still quite rare.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm located in Australia, i'm not very good with cars, afterall this is my first car and i plan to learn alot from it. I was told by friends it's fuel enjected and it's a straight 4. One question how do you know how many km's its done... the dial is weird it only has 5 digits and mine is sitting 01742 or something, it couldn't have done that little km's over the years

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Just to be pedantic :eek: ; the two litre (or two liter for US) cars had both the 2000 and the 2.0 designation, though I'm sure the model ceased in the US in 1979. I'm not sure that the US cars even had an engine capacity related designation or badging, did they ? US cars also had Spica injection which makes them different again from the rest of the world.

So, on non-US cars with a 1962cc engine (two litre) the engine capacity is the same but the badging and model designations changed over the years.

According to David Wright's Alfa Romeo Down Under the Aussie-market 2000 designation accords roughly to 1978 EDIT> with the 2.0'L' designation being '79-'82' <EDIT.

The name change on the coupes from 2000GTV to GTV 2.0 (Nuova) aligns with the introduction of plastic bumpers.

DW's book indicates that the 2000 model had [email protected] with the 2.0 'L' model [email protected], so there were tuning changes as well.

Is it rare ??? I guess so. In Oz more GTVs were sold than sedans, and as history shows, Alfa coupes survive longer than their sedan brothers and sisters simply because people hang on to coupes and are more likely to restore them over sedans.

The car in question shouldn't be fuel injected. Take a look for a pair of Del'Orto carburettors.

Mileage ? It will likely have been around the clock at least once, but it's pretty much irrelevant anyway. Overall condition is the key.

Post up some pics if you get a chance.

Also, I recommend you grab a maintenance manual. They come up regularly on Ebay for 10-25 bucks. Just make certain you get the ALFETTA version not the SPORTS SEDAN version (Haynes). The latter is specifically for US market cars. The other book you really must have is Pat Braden's Alfa Owners Bible, and read it from cover to cover.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Just to be pedantic :eek: ; the two litre (or two liter for US) cars had both the 2000 and the 2.0 designation, though I'm sure the model ceased in the US in 1979. I'm not sure that the US cars even had an engine capacity related designation or badging, did they ?
Correct - they did not - as I stated earlier, all were 2.0 litres so the need to identify it as such wasn't necessary. Again, as stated earlier, they were simply called Alfettas (GTV or Sedan) then in '78 re-named Sprint Veloce and Sport Sedan (the Alfetta named totally removed, as American's didn't make the historical connection to the design, instead thinking it meant "little Alfa"):eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts