Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an engine overhaul, I'm having a problem removing the bolt securing the front pulley to the crankshaft. (this is unusual, other engines use a nut fastener) I have used an air wrench without success. (It applies enough force to cause some damage to the bolthead.)
Could this be a left hand thread, or just a frozen bolt?
I've been told to use WD40 and heat, but I need to know if I have a right hand thread.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
It is a RH thread. Is the locktab bent away from the nut? But an impact with a 6 point socket should remove the nut. Maybe someone put some sort of loctite on it.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
If you are brave you can use the starter to remove it. You need a long breaker bar that will reach the ground and a 6 point impact socket that fits nice and snug. Note the rotation of the engine and install the breaker bar and socket so that the bar is touching the ground. (it will point toward the drivers side.) Disable the ignition so it won't start and give the engine a quick crank with the starter.
DO NOT USE A RATCHET WITH A PIPE!!
Make sure that there is no one near and do it at your own risk. I use this method all the time and it works great but you have to be careful. If something lets loose you will do damage.

Paul

·
Registered
738 Posts
If you are brave you can use the starter to remove it. You need a long breaker bar that will reach the ground and a 6 point impact socket that fits nice and snug. Note the rotation of the engine and install the breaker bar and socket so that the bar is touching the ground. (it will point toward the drivers side.) Disable the ignition so it won't start and give the engine a quick crank with the starter.
DO NOT USE A RATCHET WITH A PIPE!!
Make sure that there is no one near and do it at your own risk. I use this method all the time and it works great but you have to be careful. If something lets loose you will do damage.

Paul
That's some good ol' Kentucky engineering right there, I like it. Kinda like we used to mount race tires at the house with lacquer thinner and a match :D

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
It works great. The first time I used it was on a Toyota truck (22RE) that I screwed with for around an hour trying to get the crank bolt loose. I used everything I could think of. Chain wrench on the pulley to hold it, turned the compressor up etc..... An old guy I worked with walked up and did this trick. It took literally 1/2 a revolution of the engine and it came off. A starter motor is VERY strong. :)

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts