Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, not sure where this thread will go, I'm looking for as much advice as I can get on how to go about restoring my Alfetta sedan.

A little history:
about 13 years ago I restored said Alfetta sedan with limited funds as a student. We painted the car but it did not have the screens removed. It had also had some brake fluid poored over the top of the car by a vandal. This had the affect of leaving a visible difference in tone of the paint that was applied to the roof.

fast forward to one week ago when I found the car again, having sat outside for about 10 years in a rather sorry state. I am pleased to say it's not had many miles put on it!....and has had no accident damage...so its pretty straight, but the rust is quite terrible.

So, I plan to slowly restore the body to better than it ever was and would like to seek advice on how to do a first class job of it from those wiser than myself. I am happy to source new metal where possible, but other than ebay or wreckers, am not aware of where to get these, or even what panels could be purhcased as NOS. So advice in the area is most welcome.

here's a few picks of the day we picked it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The final few sad pics.

So, what to do. I bought it unseen, there was no question in my mind, I had to have the first car I ever modified back. But I sure was not prepared for the sad sign that awaited me....the photos make it look better than it is....trust me!!

The floor looks pretty sound, theres one 5 cent peice sized hole the passenger side, but that seems to be the total damage. The sills seem solid enough. It's around the windows that concern me, can these panels be purchased new?? What do panel beaters do with the rust at the top of the windscreen wherew it blends into the roof...new roof or work with what you got and put metal in it??

I've painted a car before (and did not much enjoy it!!) so have a basic understanding, and I can probably weld bits of metal into the car (although I am unconfident about being able to do it on panels without warping things) so I'm interested to hear from people on here who have had work done or are competant panel beaters. If I were your customer, what would you have me do, bring the car to you as is, or collect panels, and deliver with these? Surely panel beaters have access to more panels than I do...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I'm not in a position to give you great advice on how to best attack this, because I just don't know. I applaud you for your efforts to save this one though, I LOVE the first series Alfetta sedans, and it looks stunning in silver.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Quite amazing results have beed posted here when mostly novice owners get into metal repair. If you have some skills and some good tools it can be done !

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Skills and tools I have, time is in short supply and I don't like projects sitting around for eternity, still, I will probably tackle some of the metal work myself.

What I would like advice from someone on is whether the car needs a new roof or whether it can be saved.

thanks for the kind words, the car is officially a project now and I am beavering away on finding panels. If there's enough interest on here I will post progress. My twincharge project is ticking along nicely so hey, must be time for more projects....aargh!

I've decided that the car will remain a 1.8l iter, I like period, although when the time comes, I will be looking at some serious suspension mods to ensure it sticks like the preverbial to a blanket.

cheers
Mike

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hello Buzzed,
You Alfa does not look too bad in terms of rust. However, my suggestion is that you need to actually start stripping off the paint to determine the actual damage of your rust. We started a project that we felt did not have alot of rust at the time of purchase but were quite surprised at the final outcome. It will take you 100's hours to repair rust before you can even start your "normal" body work and paint. Therefore, you will need to have alot of time unless you have help. Here is a picture of our Alfa that we thought was a deal with minor rust. Of course this is a spider so hopefully you do not need floor plans like we did. You need to check your rockers and struts as well. We moved forward on our project since there was no major structural rust. Here is what it looked like when we stripped it down. Good luck on your project.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes I know what you mean, I've looked under the car and had a close look at the rockers. With the sedan, there's not a lot of trim so you kinda get what you see. Point taken though and I certainly will remove all trim for a closer look. I know the car pretty well and I know where bog was put in from a previous resto. I am more concerned about the very visible screen rust, it creeps into the roof a little which bothers me.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
I think the roof can be saved - just may need to cut a strip out and weld in fresh metal. The bigger concern is getting the windscreen out without cracking it. If that happens, next to impossible to find a replacement - though you Aussie's seem to have quite a bit more of these lying about in wrecking yards than we do.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes it's the reason the screens were not originally removed in the first place. I will be VERY carefull when removing!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Gotta pop the glass and strip the paint to assess the damage. When I restored my sedan, the only rust on the car was around the windshield and backlight. I paid about $1200US to have new metal welded in place. The wiper valence posed a problem as it is a tough job from a formability perspective. I was fortunate to find an NOS Series II windshield surround from Alfa Parts Exchange. Windshield angles and lengths are different between the two cars but the plan view curvature at base is identical. My welder simply cut the section that he needed from the NOS piece and scrapped the rest - worked beautifully. Check the link in my signature line to see the rest of the job.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I've been looking through your build and Bjorn's on Alfa Power:

AlfaPower - Björnbusens Projekt Shelbyfetta 2010 (Äntligen blankt papper) - Powered by XMB

Lots of things waiting around the corner for me on this no doubt. Still, I had a good look in the boot (trunk) and it's pefect. Theres a few bubbles under the boot seal but perfectly managable. The underbody looks great and inner gards etc are all rust free as well. I'm gaining confidence that the car can be saved.

Mind you I don't need to pop screens to know that the metal panel around the base of both windscreens has to go...it's completly stuffed! When you can put your hand through the anctual panel...you know you have rust (had metal)!! :)

In order to get the car mobile I was faced with a stuffed clutch to rectify. I've cobbled together a replacement out of some of my spares, the one that came out was scored to billio. unfortunately whilst putting the clutch back in I luckily noticed that part of the donut at the front was missing....along with one of its respective propshaft bolts, or course it's flogged the flange on the driveshaft out on the stud hole.

I'm going to flick a pic up here of a GT, mark 1 sedan and cloverleaf sedan propshaft. I cna now see why there are examples of cars where the center bearing bolts don't wuite line up, the donuts vary by a couple of mm in thickness depending on which ones you have! Alfa....
Anyway, I think I have enough spares to mix and match to get one good sedan shaft. I am actually toying with the idea of putting the whole cloverleaf shaft into the car, it looks like it will fit if I use the rear donut from my GT shaft (which is better than the Mark 1 sedan shaft). Anyone know if there is an issue with doing this? I'm going to steer clear of splitting shafts as getting them suitably rebalanced can be a pain. Actually the one int he mark 1 sedan was balanced 13 years ago by a crowd down here in Tas. not sure they offer the service anymore though.

Oh, and if anyone knows if my sedan shaft is actually correct (I am assuming it is but I do not know for sure) then I would appreciate any comparison photos or comments.

I'm also swapping in another gearhsift linkage which came from the cloverleaf. I note it has a slightly improved pivot (about 10mm longer at the bottom) so I am hoping this can be used and give me a slight shorter throw on gear selection. Not to mention the bush in the sedan one is flogged out terribly, where as this one is nice and tight.

With a bit of luck I'll get the shaft back in today and maybe even bleed finish installign the clutch minus bleeding....here's hoping, I'm really hanging to drive it after 10 year siting idle.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I still maintain that doing a front donut on an Alfetta is one of the leat pleasant jobs one can do on the mark. Especially when trying to work on the can on jack stands...could be worse I could be in the rain!

I've got the shaft back together and it's almost back in the car. I had to have a break after several attempts to get the spigot to line up in the front flywheel (to no avail). There's always the weekend.

I lined up a GT , Alfetta mark 1 and Alfetta cloverleaf propshaft for comparison. After a bit of head scratching I came to the conclusion that I could use the cloverleaf propshaft if I slotted the centerbearing bolt holes an extra 5mm, as the front shaft is 5mm longer than the mark 1...thanks Alfa! I decided to stick with the mark 1 propshaft becuase its balanced and a known quantity. I JB welded the front flange where it had flogged out and I surmised that with the spigot at the front, the positioning of this bolt was less critical...time will tell...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh yeah, and the boot as can be seen is almost totally free of rust...small mercies! Right time to dream about Alfetta's.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
made some progress on the weekend. The car is now back on the ground and the clutch feels great! The propshaft is silky smooth also, and all out of old spares lying around in the shed. The JB weld in the front flange seems to have done the trick also.

I went back fresh to the car after being frustrated by the propshaft spigot not wanting to go into the back of the engine flywheel. I managed to get a long breaker bar down the axis of the shaft onto the back of the donuts and was able to tap the donut evenly at 180 degree intervals without rotating the shaft. This worked a treat and after 5mins it was in (I'll be doing that next time!). I also used the old hose clamp around the donut trick to get it to slide onto the studs in the first place (for anyone trying to do this for the first time).

I have not had a chance to take it for a run yet, but I've got all gears and a short burnout in the shed suggests all is well.

I should note that the longer shifter selector rod will have to wait as it will require the rod to be bent to clear the center cross member.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Alfetta sedans love to rust around the front and rear windows, of course you have to take the windows and dash out to see the full extent, it's not an easy repair by any means but definitely do-able.

A lot of the other bubbles on panels probably arent too bad underneath but you won't know until you strip the paint.

Its a big task but the series 1 sedan is my favourite transaxle sedan and quite rare in any condition so it is worth saving regardless of sentimental value :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts