Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, havn't been here for a while as a contributor, however I need help desperately. I am restoring a reasonably good 1.8. Unfortunately I will have to manufacture a couple on new panels. I have attached some photo's.
These are the rear valence panel under the rear window, I also need to fabricate the front valence under the front 'screen and a left handfront mud guard(fender). I have a bead roller, english wheel and lots of enthusiasm to work out how to make these. However I have an extreem lack of knowwledge.
Can someone point me in the right direction so I can takle the job as a callenge.
Thanks.
Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Alfttaparts2, I would really like to give it a go myself. Pretty stupid I know!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Jim, when i started doing this type of thing years ago i found there was some really good material around focused on sheet metal fabrication, like this. The brits also had some good books on rust repairs (guess they had a lot of practice!).

But speaking of practice, I also went to Box Hill TAFE and did an evening class on welding which included a bit of metal fabrication - do they still have those course? Then again I guess with COVID that sort of thing is out right now now. Anyway, lots of practice and test projects later and i was able to make up some simple repair panels. It is satisfying as you say. Good luck!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes Allister, have been reading and watching and doing little things. I now need to try to get the car finished. Am enjoying it though

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
If you like this kind of fabrication check out this thread on the BB. Amazing stuff.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Mark, Thanks for the info. It gives me hope ar the Alfetta, while not being worth as much as the Lancia, it is a rare enough car to re build.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something else...If anyone has parts for the 1.8 Alfetta I am looking for panels, any condition. Please let me know if you can help. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
After swapping notes with you pre-COVID (and other more personal disasters) I will finally be back to my mate‘s house and his 1.8 next week.
I’ll collect some photos then and you can see what’s available and condition.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Message sent.
plenty of good trim, incl SS window trim, grilles and SS bumpers, but not much joy on the panels front.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Ranc, Is the car in one peice. Any photos available? The condition doesn't matter too much as long as I can make a pattern. Thanks Again

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Get my PM?
It should be a roller, unless brakes are siezed. The car is in one piece, minus some significant perforations in a couple of doors, roof gutters, scuttle, front wing top drain channels, and less trim items recently or to be removed.
If you can give me a better picture of what you are after, I will happily clean the leaves and twigs off and get more pics. Willing to cut any bits off too, as the remains will be off to the recyclers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts