Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,
The drain tubes in my '84 ti are lying loose in the bathtub area below the windscreen. I believe each one should run up into the windscreen cavity through a hole I can see on the underside of that cavity, but I don't know how they attach or what they attach to in the cavity (can't see inside it, of course). Wonder if anyone knows, please? Also, where does lower end of each hose go, to drain the water away to somewhere?
Many thanks,
Graham H, NZ
(Alfasud, 156, 1750GTV).

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Heck I don't remember such things on my '76 Ti ... hmmm ... ?

Pete

·
Registered
7 Posts
I seem to remember that there is a plastic hollow fitting that is inserted into the bottom of the windscreen frame in each corner under the rubber. The fitting pokes through and has the tubes you described attached. Water should flow between the glass and rubber, through a hole in the rubber to the plastic fitting, tube and into the scuttle below. Often the bottom corners of the screen surround rust and the fittings and tubes fall out. The only really good way to tell is to remove the screen.

If that's a bit unclear, I'm in Whitby and can explain or pop up.
Tony

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rightio, thanks everyone. I'd say the rubber stubs for the tubes have long been lost from our car as the screen has been out a few times over the years for replacement after stone-hits, and whenever it's been out we've had the rust dealt with if there was any. The panel shops are bound to have lost the stubs.
I guess it doesn't matter if the tubes aren't collecting water from the screen-rubber as I doubt if there is any! The last new screen fitting we had turned out to have a leak that showed up as water in the glovebox and around the footpedals, as they normally do in Suds. The shop re-sealed it and now we see have no water drops at all coming in, and none in the engine-room bathtub in front of the screen, so I reckon the screen rubber's watertight.
Best regards all,
Graham H, Paekak, NZ
(Sud Sprint, Sud ti, GTV, 156)

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Mine used to leak like a sieve ... lol
Pete

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, yeah, for sure, if the screen leaks or if the heater-box seal has gone, they'll leak like mad all right. But it doesn't have to be that way - it can be fixed!
G

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I seem to remember that there is a plastic hollow fitting that is inserted into the bottom of the windscreen frame in each corner under the rubber. The fitting pokes through and has the tubes you described attached. Water should flow between the glass and rubber, through a hole in the rubber to the plastic fitting, tube and into the scuttle below. Often the bottom corners of the screen surround rust and the fittings and tubes fall out. The only really good way to tell is to remove the screen.
That's my memory too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts