Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to improve the brakes on my Sud. Will changing the brake pads make a difference? Which would be the most effective pads to use on the road? If I'm changinging the pads I may as well replace the brake fluid. Same question applies. Which is the best brake fluid to use & why? Thank you all in advance for reading & adding to this thread.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You have a wide choice available to you for brake pads if you have a sud.
Front brake pads are shared with the Ferrari 308.
Rear brake pads are shared with the Volkswagen Beetle.

I have been impressed with EBC greenstuff. Can't get them to fade.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also fitted Greenstuff pads and have been really pleased with them. I found various standard pads were good for about 3 (5 max) laps on a local circuit then they would started to fade. I have used the green stuff pads for much longer runs and they haven't faded yet. They send off plenty of smoke when I stop the car (as per the standard pads) but still provide plenty of braking. I have also found them very good for everyday use as they don't require any warm up. I have only been able to get them for the front and have original Alfa pads at the rear. I am not consious of any major mismatch problems and as the proportioning valve on my car is seized open at pretty much full rear brake I figure solving any sort of front to rear bias problems is going to require a replacement bias valve which you can't seem to buy (and I don't want to bother with an adjustable after market one for this particular car).

As far as fluid goes I have been using a variety of basic dot 4 fluids (i.e. the stuff you get at BIG W or Supercheap Auto) and have no complaint with, or preference for, any of them. I think changing it regularly is the key.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave for the reply. I live in N.Z. but am going to the UK for Xmas so I may pick up the brake pads there.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I use to use the cheapest pad autobarn sold. They were just a no name brand, but they were really good. FAR better then the bendix pads that they also offer.

lenus.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts