Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Yes, this time you can trust them, they are really coming back in 2013. Alfa's repeated statements of their return remind me a lot Lucy's promises to hold the football.

Greg

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
It's alright, they are not making anything attaractive at this point (seen them, driven them)... Hopefully they will have the 4C concept in production by the time they come back. For the time being, the Fiat 500 is an acceptable compromise (if you want anything brand new) :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
"This car is not simply an exercise in style created for the Motor Show; it will be on sale in 2012 and is set to reinforce Alfa Romeo's global growth."

that what was said of 4C, I dont know when Alfa has had this few models on production/sale, basically they have two small models and one ancient bigger one 159 for sale. This doesnt look very good...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The article states that, “Sergio Marchionne is not satisfied with the design of the cars" as the dominant reason why Alfa is delayed. I think it's a good call on his part...and he's getting it half right. The Mito and Giulietta don't offer enough to be sure-fire hits with the general American public in my opinion. But lets not forget that design isn't everything. Fiat discontinued development of a new V6 for Alfa some time ago. If we get all style and no substance then we may just gets sequels to the Brera and 159; cars that look great yet severely underperform against the competition.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The article states that, “Sergio Marchionne is not satisfied with the design of the cars" as the dominant reason why Alfa is delayed. I think it's a good call on his part...and he's getting it half right. The Mito and Giulietta don't offer enough to be sure-fire hits with the general American public in my opinion. But lets not forget that design isn't everything. Fiat discontinued development of a new V6 for Alfa some time ago. If we get all style and no substance then we may just gets sequels to the Brera and 159; cars that look great yet severely underperform against the competition.
Well put. They haven't built a car that outperformed the competition since the 916 GTV V6.

Greg

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
If they can't build a car that will tear the competition a new one they should probably just stay home. Coming back to the US market with anything less than kickass will kill the company.

The 500 may get by fine on "cute" but I suspect Alfa coming back here and saying "hey look at me, I'm cute, too" would be a serious waste of resources for the company.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I say Fiat gets no greater stake in Chrysler until they bring Alfa back to the US!

President Obama, please take leadership on this. Don't let Fiat increase it's stake in Chrysler from 25% to 30% until there is an Alfa dealership in each of the 50 states. "A chicken in every pot and an Alfa in every driveway" would be a good re-election slogan. If you champion this you have my vote in 2012. :D

·
Registered
257 Posts
If they are truely coming to US in 2012, Alfa should be displayed in NY auto show and they should take orders end of 2011. I bet against Fiat. They have no credibility. The management does not know its own products which is very typical.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
If they can't build a car that will tear the competition a new one they should probably just stay home.
I wouldn't go that far. Alfa's were known for innovation, style, and performance in their better years but they never consistently blew the competition away with every new generation of cars they produced. What they need is better drivability and performance figures that are on par with BMW and Audi to put them back in the game.

·
Registered
783 Posts
If they are truely coming to US in 2012, Alfa should be displayed in NY auto show and they should take orders end of 2011. .
why they should take orders in 2011, if they are coming in 2012? if they say there is new model coming in 2012, lets say mid 2012 in Europe orders could be made in the end of 2012 in Europe... or some smaller countries maybe in the beginning of 2013....

·
Registered
298 Posts
Alfa Romeo comes back in 2012 if for no other reason that a lot of very angry dealers with contracts and construction costs will otherwsie make life very miserable for Fiat in court with punitive damages. Ask GM about Olds dealers.
Fiat sales alone are not enough to support the stand-alone dealerships that Fiat demanded and are about to be built. Not to mention North American parts suppliers who have invested heavily (crash tests and some of the components differ for the US market - the Fiat 500 has, if I recall the figure correctly, 203 North America-only parts, mostly to pass federal regulations). Follow the money trail to the truth.
Dave

·
Registered
257 Posts
why they should take orders in 2011, if they are coming in 2012? if they say there is new model coming in 2012, lets say mid 2012 in Europe orders could be made in the end of 2012 in Europe... or some smaller countries maybe in the beginning of 2013....
I dont know about the rest of the world however in US, the new model year cars are in the showrooms at the end of the previous year. You should be able to see a 2012 car in Nov of 2011. May be Fiat is going to be different. Fiat 500 was in NY auto show before. So I expect the same for Alfa.

·
Registered
783 Posts
yep, thats a difference in Europe vs USA, we dont use model years here and dont know what they mean when they are speaking years, but I think they havent still changed to model years in these general speakings/speculations

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
If they are truely coming to US in 2012, Alfa should be displayed in NY auto show and they should take orders end of 2011. I bet against Fiat. They have no credibility. The management does not know its own products which is very typical.
If they are truly coming to the US in 2012, why would they NOT take orders in 2011? I ordered my Fiat 500 dang near a year before I finally got it last week.

As far as betting against Fiat, unless it is some office pool where you buy a square for particular date of return or something like that, I'd advise don't bet against. They said they'd bring the 500 to US and everyone said Pffffth. They said they build a dealer network and everyone said Pffffth. They said the 500 would sell and everyone said Pfffffth. Now the only one saying Pfffffth is Linda Soave.

2012 vs 2013? I'd say 2013 as it is consistant with the realities of the 500 launch and consistant with what my dealer told me of their schedule for construction of their Fiat / Alfa store. And it is consistant with my prediction that Alfa will return to the US market in 2 years, a prediction I make every year, also my offer of free beer tomorrow. An offer I make daily.

Trust me, my son is a doctor.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If they are truly coming to the US in 2012, why would they NOT take orders in 2011? I ordered my Fiat 500 dang near a year before I finally got it last week.

As far as betting against Fiat, unless it is some office pool where you buy a square for particular date of return or something like that, I'd advise don't bet against. They said they'd bring the 500 to US and everyone said Pffffth. They said they build a dealer network and everyone said Pffffth. They said the 500 would sell and everyone said Pfffffth. Now the only one saying Pfffffth is Linda Soave.

2012 vs 2013? I'd say 2013 as it is consistant with the realities of the 500 launch and consistant with what my dealer told me of their schedule for construction of their Fiat / Alfa store. And it is consistant with my prediction that Alfa will return to the US market in 2 years, a prediction I make every year, also my offer of free beer tomorrow. An offer I make daily.

Trust me, my son is a doctor.
I like that beer offer!! Cheers.

·
Registered
783 Posts
because the 500 was existing car, although they made new version for US markets, but Giulia doesnt exist yet, I dont know but I would not order my car before I know something about it. Or then they should launch 4C production version very soon if they would take orders before 2012.

·
Registered
805 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts