Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well we've done it now. Mention that AROSC will have an Alfa Romeo only Time Trial Group and look who signs up. So far we have 17 Alfisti and there are still a few more not signed up yet.
So if you are in need of a nice drive out to the desert Jan 17 why not head out to Willow Springs Raceway? The weather should be great, the food at the snack bar is pretty good. I think the track still charges $10 to get in.
What could be better!!
Here are the cars signed up to be on the track so far:

GTA tbd
Giulia Ti 1965
GTV 1965
Sprint GT 1965
GTV 1966
Giulia Super 1967
GT Junior 1967
GTV 1967
Giulia Super 1968
GT Jr. 1968
1750 GTV 1970
GTV 1973
GTV 1974
GTV 1974
Alfetta GT 1976
Milano Verde 1988
4C 2015

UPDATE: The famed 4C will be on the track. You can't miss this!!
More Alfas want to get on the track!!
------------------------
Directions: Hwy 14 toward Palmdale. Continue past Lancaster.
Rosamond Blvd exit. Left.
About 6 miles down the road is Willow Springs Raceway.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Which Track?

Paul, I don't see a 1974 Spider represented on that track list…how much does it cost to get on the track?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is our time trial on the big track so Spiders need a roll bar and 5 pt belts.
Look at aroschpd.org for details. Still time to register.
It will be a great excuse to come out to see/hear Alfas doing what they were meant to do.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just one more question...what are the height requirements for the role bar. Mine fits under my convertible top...

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Short answer: Rollbar hoop with diagonal from drivers side down to the passwnger side base. You with helmet must fit 2" below a line from the top of the bar to the top of the windshield frame.
Here is what we list for Novice'Solo at http://www.aroschpd.org/Group_Nov.html
Driver Restraint: Factory seat belts (3-point minimum) in good condition are required. Five- or 6-point harnesses are highly recommended.
Roll Bars: Open cars (convertibles) must be equipped with rollover protection. Factory rollover protection or aftermarket roll bars are acceptable as long as they pass the " Broomstick Test". If factroy rollover protection is built into the top, it must be in place while the car is on track. Also, aftermarket bars must incorporate a structural cross brace.
Broomstick Test:With the driver sitting in a normal driving position, the top of the driver's helmet shall be at least two inchs (2 in) below a straight line, a.k.a., broomstick, extending from the top of the rollbar forward to the highest structrual part of the vehicle. If factory documentation indicates that the A-pillar is structrual, it may be used as the forward point for the test. Otherwise, the top of the forward shock mount shall be used.
Fire Protection: Fire Extinguishers are not required but are recommended for Solo.
Personal Safety Equipment:
Safety Helmet: Snell SA2005/M2005 (or newer) approved. DOT rated helmets are not acceptable.
Eye Protection: Helmet face shield or glasses (sun glasses are OK).
Clothing: Non-synthetic/natural fiber clothing, long sleeves, long pants (no shorts, no dresses).
Gloves: Non-perforated, leather or fireproof material (leather garden gloves are OK).
Shoes: Full coverage shoes (no sandals).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well that certainly explains why there are no spiders in the group. There's no such thing as a roll bar 2" above the helmet that will allow the convertible top to clear it… I guess I could let my grandmother drive the car…she's short enough…but then she'd be looking through the steering wheel. Or I could just take the seat out……. Well, since I don't just drive my car once a year, but actually drive my car regularly, I'll leave it like it is and enjoy it all year round…. But thank you so much for the information.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, we're sort of weird about safety. Your noggin scraping along the pavement when you screw up turn 9 at 90 mph really sucks Yes even a stock Alfa can approach that speed at Willow Springs.
However, one of our members long ago solved the rollbar problem in her Spider. Bolt in bar, carried on a bike rack. Top down, bolt in the bar. Drive all weekend. Reverse the operation and then drive back home to San Diego.
Sorry it didn't work out.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep. He is signed up for both days.

We are trying for an "Alfa Romeo Pace Lap" Sat morning.
CaliPhotography will work with us to get some great photos of them on the track. So you Alfisti can buy one. (a plug, but no financial connection, just want a good businessperson to succeed).

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is getting interesting.
Yesterday another 4C got signed up. Now the rumor has it that an 8C is feeling left out of the party and may show up in the pits.
We've got to get a photo of them into Alfa Owner???

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PICs

Well we are gathering up who shot photos. Especially of the 4/8C gathering.
For now look at what CaliPhotography shot. Of course they are for sale (no connection, just want a good business person make a buck). Brian want out of his way, working with us, to get an Alfa pace lap in so he could get the group shot.

CaliPhotography > Willow Springs Raceway > Jan-17-2015-Alfa Club

1 - 14 of 14 Posts