Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1061 - 1069 of 1069 Posts

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Photograph Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

I lived in N San Diego 74-81, went to Riverside a lot. Drove it once at an AROSC lunchtime tour in my Super, and rode it once in a Studebaker Cruiser, we spun coming out of 7B. A treat.

I posted PDFs of the R&T 2002/GTV/510 Trans Am comparo article here, posts 680 and 681. Super getting some localized bodywork
Andrew
Thank you for finding it… 15’s but no mention of the width like I recall? Wondered what the rules were. This pic kinda shows how tall they wheels where.

I-15 must have been empty back then. We used to get off work a little early in La Jolla, jam up past Riverside to do some night skiing at mountain high even with rush hour traffic

·
Premium Member
24,993 Posts
That car is in LA now.
When I moved to Carlsbad it was still 395. It became 15 while I lived there. 395 was in parts an undivided three-lane road, two-way center passing lane. Up the big hill from Rainbow to the summit before Temecula. Fun! Yes, no one lived out there then. It was the boondocks. A few wineries, March Field, the track. Very few houses around it. Here's pics of SR60 looking east and west, spring 1979, from the Turn 6 grandstand. We're off track but what the heck. You can't lament too much the loss of Riverside and how SoCal is now. I moved away, couldn't stand it.
Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I’ve seen both the blue and orange Pepsi - Wetson cars many times over the years. I’ve crawled under them to take photos. I recall they moved the motor back and inch or two just off the firewall for weight distribution. The big bore cars ran with 15x8’s, I wonder if they used this width also? Yes, they were highly developed cheater cars.

Set up is interesting compared to the Gta/gtam in Europe which where on Dunlop/michelin/Firestones rubber which were spec for long 24,12hrs 1000km endurance races. The trans am races were more like short sprints races in comparison using higher grip tires. When did these TA cars start running with full slicks? F1 started adopting them around 71.

I believe Mickey Thompson invented the modern racing tire adopting lower profile, much wider contact patch slicks from drag racers when F1 cars still had threads. The circuit racing community scoffed at him initially but shortly afterwards, manufacturers raced to develop their very own slicks.

Tire Wheel Sprint car racing Photograph Vehicle

It’s it wasn’t for Camp Pendleton it would be be one big San Angeles… west coast suburban sprawl.

cool old sight of the old drag strip In Carlsbad.. Raceway Demolition and Busines Park

Best
DB

1061 - 1069 of 1069 Posts