Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1041 - 1055 of 1055 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Romano Bergamin of Montreal, Quebec, raced a GTAJ/GTA with GTAJ engine in August 1977 with race n. 79 in Circuit Deux Mont-Tremblant and Circuit Deux-Montagne. In 1979 Richard Barwell of Mission, British Columbia, raced a GTAJ at Coquitlam, British Columbia.
According to Ken ownership might have been Ed Wachs, in 1975 Bobcor, then John De Maria, in 1977 Bergamin (all in the east), in 1979 Barwell (in the west) and in 1983 Jim Brown.
The VIN was assumed being *613975* but a car with this VIN was not built by Alfa Romeo. GTAJ *775975* was originally sold in Italy. It even might have been built on an old GTA RHD shell but I guess not on that of Joe Locario. Hadfield could take a look on the firewall if there is a number under the thick paint.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I do not think De Maria ever owned this # 79, he may have brokered it between Bergamin and Barwell or owned only to sell on.

In 1975 when De Maria visited BOBCOR in Buffalo to buy GTA 752507 #25 BOBCOR Trans Am racer he told me he had a pick of 2 GTAs at took # 25 as it was well known. The other one he told me was sold to Bergamin in Quebec Canada and later went west. I have an advert placed by Demaria where I think he was brokering the car. I think it was red.

Reudi has found a photo of a red #79 that Barwell is buying or has bought. Martin has Bergamin on #79 in 1977. Barwell has budget to paint. I think this is good second evidence of what has been thought, that Barwell bought from Bergamin. He then painted it yellow. The only BOBCOR connection is that it was at BOBCOR in 1975 for sale.

When owned by John Murphy it was inspected by Roman Tucker and said to be RHD converted from LHD. John Murphy reported a CASC tag number.

Comparision of photos when with Wachs, Jim Brown and Hadfield show cage similarities. Analysis of the race entries at the TA at Lime Rock 1972 against the known Brass tags issued there makes it possible if not likely that tag 72BS15 and log book was issued to this chassis and Wachs.

It then goes from Barwell to Brown through Tim Ritter to Murphy to Hadfield as I understand it.

Regards

Ken

·
Registered
554 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kengta View Post

"This RHD GTA was imported by ALFA INC in 1966 for the Trans Am and was raced by Joe Locario and Company.

About 1978-80 Vegher transformed it to IMSA spec with GTAm engine.

In the 1980's it was sold on perhaps to its current owner."

My reply----

The year as I recall was 1983 or 84 at the latest.

Actually sold by Dave V. as not even a roller unless you include the shopping cart it was mounted to.

Bare tub with body, cage and flares all done and painted 505? or 515 red (the tangerine like red) and ready to assemble but may or may not have had hood and doors, sorry, been to long and cant remember. Also a set of unmounted Alfa 9x13 wheels were purchased from Dave at that time.

I will take the liberty of mentioning the new owner was Don Gabouri of Laguna Beach and later possibly Costa Mesa. Don is a highly skilled mechanic, fabricator and race prep engineer who trained at Luigi Chinetti (sp?) and once ran a private resto shop for the guy who started Taco Bell. Recently he has specialized in track prepping the new type lotus.

The car has sat as purchased as least until 5 years ago when I had some contact with Don. I offered to purchase at that time but he was not interested.

I don't believe Don knows the chassis number as that was one of the questions he asked when he called me.

Hopefully he will post here some day and fill in the missing details.

Cheers, Paul Van Der Linden of Vintage Prep

I believe the car being discussed may be the same as the car mentioned in the above which has been copied and pasted from a post in a different thread.

There was no chassis tag on this fully flared and beautifully prepared (shell only) GTA Jr.

Cheers Paul VDL

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kengta View Post

"This RHD GTA was imported by ALFA INC in 1966 for the Trans Am and was raced by Joe Locario and Company.

About 1978-80 Vegher transformed it to IMSA spec with GTAm engine.

In the 1980's it was sold on perhaps to its current owner."

My reply----

The year as I recall was 1983 or 84 at the latest.

Actually sold by Dave V. as not even a roller unless you include the shopping cart it was mounted to.

Bare tub with body, cage and flares all done and painted 505? or 515 red (the tangerine like red) and ready to assemble but may or may not have had hood and doors, sorry, been to long and cant remember. Also a set of unmounted Alfa 9x13 wheels were purchased from Dave at that time.

I will take the liberty of mentioning the new owner was Don Gabouri of Laguna Beach and later possibly Costa Mesa. Don is a highly skilled mechanic, fabricator and race prep engineer who trained at Luigi Chinetti (sp?) and once ran a private resto shop for the guy who started Taco Bell. Recently he has specialized in track prepping the new type lotus.

The car has sat as purchased as least until 5 years ago when I had some contact with Don. I offered to purchase at that time but he was not interested.

I don't believe Don knows the chassis number as that was one of the questions he asked when he called me.

Hopefully he will post here some day and fill in the missing details.

Cheers, Paul Van Der Linden of Vintage Prep

I believe the car being discussed may be the same as the car mentioned in the above which has been copied and pasted from a post in a different thread.

There was no chassis tag on this fully flared and beautifully prepared (shell only) GTA Jr.

Cheers Paul VDL
Hi Paul. Good to hear from you. They are not the same GTA. The one being discussed, the Barwell, started life as a Lhd GTA or a GTAj which were all lhd. The Gabouri started out as the RHD GTA of Locario, lost its serial number after a crash repair by John Norman, has had many owners and to confuse things more spent some time in British Columbia coming from and returning to California.

The original serial number of Gabouri RHD GTA is not generally known but can probably be deduced if one has access to the ALFA archives.

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
One of the problems with this wonderful but huge thread is it was started in 2005 and is a development of knowledge over now 14 years. As such it does contain many un corrected errors and assumptions from the early years of the thread. And it spreads findings about various cars over many pages and posts and years.

Regards the Trans Am GTAs, Alleggerita 2nd ed brings a lot together 1965 to 1981 but as of publishing date 2011 lots was not known, not clear. Some info has become clear(er) since but much is still unknown or not clear. Know info 1981 to 2011 was not published except mostly here on this bb.

Regards

Ken

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hi Ken,

What struck me was a recollection of Dave V. mentioning a Barlow regarding a trade with that car and I thought he might have had the similar names mixed. Plus he did mention that it was originally a GTA Jr. when we went to buy the car.

Does the trunk rain gutter of a GTA have a chassis number stamped in the sheet metal and covered up by the trunk lid seal? I recall type 105 chassis of the era having that feature.

Maybe 40 years on I'm having a senior moment.

Best, P

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
When the car was still in the Pacific Northwest I quite carefully checked it for a trace of a serial # on the firewall ... there wasn;t even a trace .... I
assumed that the car was re-shelled at some time on that basis ... I didn't know about the trunk rain gutter back then.

If I remember correctly, the car was running with it's SCCA log book number that was on the roll bar.

The VIN was assumed being *613975* but a car with this VIN was not built by Alfa Romeo. GTAJ *775975* was originally sold in Italy. It even might have been built on an old GTA RHD shell but I guess not on that of Joe Locario. Hadfield could take a look on the firewall if there is a number under the thick paint.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
A series of pictures that I believe are all of the "Barwell" GTA being discussed.

Note the rearward roll bar support in all. In last 2 note the wheels.
Wachs was on RHD GTA in 1968 and 1969 but rearward roll bar support was lower in 68 and 69 I have no clear pictures.

First Photo 1970 Ed Wachs at Road America Trans Am
Second 1971 Ed Wachs at Nelson Ledges
Third 1972 Ed Wachs at Lime Rock TA
Fourth c. 1977 Bergamin/Barwell
Fifth c. 1983 Jim Brown

Attachments

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Note Roll bar support, odd sized oil cooler openings.

I also have a picture of the forward trunk gutter and it shows 10502/A and the Homologation stamping but not clearly which is correct for LHD GTA and a picture of the heavily painted serial number pad and of the Brass Tag 72BS15.

First Interior c. 1983 Jim Brown
Second Interior c. 2009 with Hadfield
Third 2000 Hadfield at Phoenix, yellow
Fourth c. 2009 Hadfield, Red
Fifth c. 1983 Jim Brown at Westwood

Attachments

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
John Murphy bought 72BS15 this GTA c. 1986 from Broker Tim Ritter through another broker out of a divorce settlement. In 1991 he reported in a letter a CASC 757 registration number. Hadfield bought her from the John Murphy estate.

1970?-72 Ed Wachs, orange black yellow
c. 1975 at BOBCOR Buffalo
c. 1975-77 Ramon Bergamin, red
c. 1978-c. 1982 Dick Barwell, red to yellow
c. 1983-1985 Jim Brown, yellow
c. 1986-? John Murphy, yellow
c. ? to present Niel Hadfield, yellow then red

Regards

Ken

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
Note Roll bar support, odd sized oil cooler openings.
The wheels in the 1st and 5th picture are also interesting.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
There is a popular side to the first Trans-Am in 1966.
So, this is for "new" readers.
To refresh my memory I've read a couple of articles published in the 1970s.
The feature has been the muscular "Pony" cars of the day.
The first race was at Sebring when the 1600 Alfa GTA's won not just the "Under 2 L" class but outright.
Straight up accounts years ago, described that the 5 Alfas were finding the "Over 2 L" cars to be "moving chicanes".
Some of the big cars were being lapped.
For the next season there was serious factory support and the "Detroit Iron" began to win outright.
At the time--loved it!
:)

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Bumping this thread for new members and new information.

I have suggested to the admin that there is a need to be able to edit old posts so as to keep this thread as accurate as possible

Ken

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
THE ED WACHS RHD GTA, AKA 72BS15

John Murphy bought 72BS15 this GTA c. 1986 from Broker Tim Ritter through another broker out of a divorce settlement. In 1991 he reported in a letter a CASC 757 registration number. Hadfield bought her from the John Murphy estate.

1970?-72 Ed Wachs, orange black yellow
c. 1975 at BOBCOR Buffalo
c. 1975-77 Ramon Bergamin, red
c. 1978-c. 1982 Dick Barwell, red to yellow
c. 1986-? John Murphy, yellow
c. ? to present Niel Hadfield, yellow then red

Regards

Ken
I have been co-responding with Keith Goring about the three 1967 Kwech/Winkler Tri Colour GTAs and the subject of the 1968 RHD Kwech/Knaus GTAs came up. I knew there was the RHD Green #18 that Kwech drove in a few races that was then taken over by Harry Theodorocoupolis. I had heard that there had been two built for 1968 from bodies in white but Horst Kwech said at a meet in 2012 (The concourse of America at which I showed 752507) that there was only one built. The Green RHD seems unknown after Harry T.

So Keith told me yesterday that he interviewed Bill Knaus at his office in November 2016 and Bill said there where two racers built for 1968 from "Body in White" and that he remembered the two big crates they arrived in sitting outside the "old" Knaus shop. They were built into the Green Kwech/Harry T RHD GTA and the Orange RHD Wachs GTA. Given other facts, this makes more sence to me.

I know little of the bodies in white. The parts book shows 2 versions with 3 types in each. The 2 versions are "BODY, cellulosed and trimmed" (shown with glass and Chrome) and "BODY, untrimmed and uncellulosed". Each have 3 choises, "for GTA LHD; optional for GTA; and for GTA RHD". I do not think the GTAj body in white if there ever was such a thing was available in late 1967 or early 1968 when these builds must have taken place. The Wachs Trans Am car is known to be LHD converted to RHD. No serial number has ever been confirmed and no forward trunk rain gutter stamping has been found to date. Winkler and Kwech wrecked 2 RHD GTAs in 1967 so RHD parts were available for a RHD build from a Body in White.

Ed Wachs 1968, used #9,12,8,71
DSCN2024.JPG

Ed Wachs in 1969, #12
Wol8 MI 69 Wachs #12.jpg

Ed Wachs 1970 #1, new roll cage
Wachs #1 at Rd Am 1970 Allegeretta.JPG

Ed Wachs 1971 #6, now orange/black/yellow
Wachs 6 at Nelson Leges SCCA 1971 JW10001.jpg

Ed Wachs 1972, #6, issued SCCA Brass Tag 72BS15 at Lime Rock
Wachs #6 and Theiot #33 At Riverside 1972.jpg

1968-72 Ed Wachs, orange, oange black yellow, various race numbers, built fro "Body in White"
c. 1975 at BOBCOR Buffalo, sold to Ramon Bergamon, Quebec
c. 1975-77 Ramon Bergamon, red, sold to Dick Barwell, Vancouver
c. 1978-c. 1982 Dick Barwell, red to yellow, sold to Jim Brown, Washington state
c. 1986-? John Murphy, yellow, bought from Broker Tim Ritter through another Broker out of a divorce
c. ? to present Niel Hadfield, yellow then red, bought from John Murphy estate.

So now the provenance of the RHD Wachs Trans Am GTA is better understood I believe.

An era to explore is the time at BOBCOR Buffalo. In Feb 1975 at least 2 GTAs were for sale at BOBCOR as reported to me by John DeMaria. Demaria puchased the well known RHD GTA #25 752507 and told me the other one was sold latter to Ramon Bergamon of Quebec. By that time 752507 was in wide body and sold with 1300 GTAj engine as told by Demaria or his partner Jeff Bateman. (Bob Cozza told me no but I tend to accept what Bateman said ). I believe Bergamon sold the Wachs GTA in wide body to Barwell, so I guess BOBCOR sold it to Bergamon as wide body with 1300 GTAj engine. By 1975 the Alfa GTAs were no longer competitive in B-Sedan so some were converted to C_Sedan spec. So I think BOBCOR was keeping these old racers alive and profiting by converting to C- Sedan spec. As to when, why and how the Wachs GTA got to BOBCOR remains to be determined.

There are also race results out there to find such as SCCA club events under Wachs and races events in Canada east and west under Bergamon and Barwell and race events under Jim Brown in the USA Pacific Northwest. John Murphy used her for Vintage Races a few times I understand as does Niel Hadfield.

regards

Ken

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
THE PASSING OF HORST KWECH

It is regret and sadness I report the death of Horst Kwech on Dec 28, 2019 at age 82. Horst was a legendary Alfa GTA and GTV constructor/driver in the Trans Am's golden era 1966 to 1972. He was at Sebring at the inagural Trans Am race in 1966 on RHD GTA and at Riverside 1972 at the last Trans Am of that era on GTV. He and his Alfas are fatured in many places in this Alfas in the Trans Am Thread.

Horst remained active in the Alfa Community and attended events around the country speaking, telling stories and helping owners of his cars with their history. I met him a couple of times at such events.

Below he is seen at the Waterford Hills Trans Am Champions Reunion July 2012, in the centre with John Morton and Tony Adamowicz. And below with the 1970 Trans Am #3 GTA, Tony Adamowicz and Bernie Martinez (owner)

I will try and post an official Obituary when available.

Ken

IMG_1452.JPG
IMG_1472 - Copy.JPG

Attachments

1041 - 1055 of 1055 Posts